HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Time in primary and cold crash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
diegobonatto
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Time in primary and cold crash

Hello folks,

I have a question about time in primary plus cold crash. My batch stayed in primary for 7 days (F.G. is stable) and I want to initiate a cold crash that will be keep for more 7 days. HOWEVER, is better to keep the beer during 14 days at 70 ° F in primary and then apply cold crash during 7 days (also in primary)? I known that it is a long time for cold crash....
Regards,
Diego

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
NWAleDad
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I would leave it in the primary longer. The yeast will clean itself up and the flavor will change.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2827 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

NWAleDad's right a week is too soon, do you even know if the beer's actually finished or not? have you taken a grav reading?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
diegobonatto

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes, I think that beer is finished because the F.G. is stable (F.G. = 1.015) after three consecutive readings (one reading after 48 hours). But, yes, I agree that at least two weeks in primary is the role of thumb....My question is if 7 days of cold crash plus 7 days in primary could count as the same as two weeks only in primary...Or am I wrong?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2827 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobonatto View Post
Yes, I think that beer is finished because the F.G. is stable (F.G. = 1.015) after three consecutive readings (one reading after 48 hours). But, yes, I agree that at least two weeks in primary is the role of thumb....My question is if 7 days of cold crash plus 7 days in primary could count as the same as two weeks only in primary...Or am I wrong?
No..if you cold crash the beer you put the yeast to sleep, if they're asleep then they time of them cleaning up after themselves isn't there. If you wait two weeks then cold crash that is equal to 2 weeks in the fermenter.

In ales if the beer is cold, no conditioning is going on.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
diegobonatto

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

OK! I will keep the batch more time in primary before cold crash.....
Thanks!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
NWAleDad
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

To elaborate, i keep my beers in the primary for 4 weeks and only transfer to a secondary if I’m adding a flavor or adjunct. The only time I have cold crashed was for a brew I transferred onto 7lbs of strawberries.

Quick Reply