The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Time in the primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
Hahaha. Just thought the same thing. I swear he's got a keyboard shortcut to auto-populate that phrase.

...not that it is bad advice, by any means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
I was joshing him on another thread about that.

but really, it's good advice and he's just hammering it to get the point across
I didn't auto quote or anything,but I'm begining to think I should do something of the kind,as I'm sure revvy does. Lord knows I repeat it enough. And yes,I am trying to hammer it into folks,as it flat out works,it's better for the beer,& takes little effort from me. And it's all from personal observation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Union, if I had a dollar for everytime I heard you say "clear or slightly misty" I'd be rich!
If I was paid to say those things,I could brew more beer myself!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by revco View Post
........... This has led to some recommended procedures, like short primaries and "necessary" secondaries, that are really geared around production optimization and problems that plague beer only in a large scale. What many of us have realized, through experience, is that those processes can be bent in our relatively small scale brewing. Yet, there are still many people out there who hold on to the traditional concepts. There's nothing "wrong" with these procedures, but it's extra work that, turns out, doesn't really benefit our small scale and therefore isn't worth the effort.
The above is true. However I wouldn't be so quick to say there is no benefit on our small scale. In the controlled experiments that have been done (BYO primary/secondary exp.) almost all of the tasters could tell there was a difference in the beers produced with either method. The big deal though was the tasters were roughly split in half as to which one they preferred. The upshot is then is try a beer both ways and decide which you like. There are more risks associated with using a secondary, but one might find that the flavors you get are worth the risk. The risks are easily minimized with just a little care

Quote:
Originally Posted by revco View Post
The "concern" with long primaries is that yeast will eventually reach autolysis (or death) and this can cause off flavors if the beer continues to rest on this dead yeast. This is more of a problem when you're dealing with 10 gallons of yeast as opposed to a few cups of yeast. It takes literally months for autolysis to be a problem in small batch brewing. Hope that helps to explain the confusion for you!
Autolysis is no myth, it is basic microbiology. The true myth is that it produces off flavors. I just finally got around to opening a 1 liter bottle of yeast poured out of a keg that has been sitting on my basement floor for at least 2 years. No off aromas whatsoever. I filmed the opening (video link here) I suspect a good part of the difference in tastes in the BYO experiment linked above are in fact the result of autolysis. So not only does autolysis not produce off flavors, it actually results in flavors many people like, ask any wine drinker. Wine makers make extensive use of autolysis (aging on the lees)

As to the OP's question, the beer needs to stay in the primary at least until fermentation is complete. This can be as short as 5 days for a lower ABV beer or up to two weeks for a higher ABV beer. After that is the conditioning phase, and that can be done in the primary or in a secondary
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition
flars Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Seems to me brewing tv did that one as well. They were split on which they liked better. I've just been stating that with today's higher quality yeast,it's not very likely to get autolysis under normal conditions & reasonable extended time on the yeast cake. So far,I've done up to 5 weeks in primary with no ill effects. some way longer than that.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Just for reference, I have done two of the exact same kits One was primaried for one week, secondaried for two weeks, then kegged and rested for 2 more weeks before drinking.

The second one, I primaried for 3 weeks, kegged, then rested for an additional two weeks before drinking.

Now mind you, my brewing set up calls for less than ideal situations for true scientific research. One was brewed during the late summer, the other the fall, but I do my best to keep fermentation temps around 64 F. for at least the initial week. And I do a good job of that. But it's a basic set up, so there could be variations all over the place.

That being said, you could tell these were the same beers, but there was definitely something different about the two. The first one definitely had some off flavors to it. Nothing terrible, but it had a harsbit of a bite it early and left a bit of a lingering after taste as well. The second one, definitely did not have these off flavors to it. It still had a bit of an extractyness to it, but over all was very very good and drank exactly as how I would expected it to. And my friends agreed.

Now, I don't pull anything off primary for at least 3 weeks. I do believe that the yeast is doing something to the beer to clean up the flavors. I didn't ever redo anothe kit before going all-grain, but the three other kits I did early on, before switching to 3 weeks, all had similar flavors to the kit I did redo. And now, since it seems to be a consensus on here as well as with my other homebrewing friends, 3 weeks is just the norm now. For me it's a big part of better beer.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 818 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
3 weeks is just the norm now. For me it's a big part of better beer.
this is my thinkings, at least for 'normal-sized' beers, which I define as 1.055 ± .010

3 weeks and you don't have to worry, "is it done?"

just take FG reading, rack and bottle

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 278

i read the directions you posted and those are fine directions. if the LHBS interprets those directions to say "do not leave the beer in the primary for more than 5 days," then that is a misinterpretation.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
nickfanelli
Recipes 

Good stuff. Thanks guys. I am pitching a Cream Ale tonight, as my wife finds the Bock too malty and heavy(I love it!). So, I am going to leave it in the primary until it hits the FG, I may rack it and leave it for a bit longer. It all depends on when I get through the Bock so I can use the bottles. Anyone not suggest this methodology?

And again thanks so much for your help with this and my last crisis. You guys have made me start to think about some more advanced methods, like making my own wort soon.

Cheers,

Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #19
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

You can rack it if you like after FG is reached. I just like to leave it in primary to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Def tastes cleaner to me. But that also includes late extract additions as well. So a few little changes add up to better beer.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I remember years ago 18+ or so when we first started brewing the guy at the local shop told us as soon as you see it stop bubbling, bottle it. I have no fuggin idea how we didn't have bottle bombs. We would not go over 7 days no matter what. We made very ****ty beer back then too, only had a few batches worth drinking..

My normal beers are 2-3 weeks in primary usually getting cold crashed for 2 days and bottled around the 3rd week time frame.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Quick Reply