Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Time in the primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
nickfanelli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Time in the primary

So, I know I have to give my next brew more time in the primary. Then I noticed at the beer and wine store, their directions say not to leave the wort in the primary bucket for more than 5 days. I am confused, why would they direct people that way. Oh, and the kit I have been using is Festa Brew. Their directions are not as explicit, but still not a lot of time in the primary bucket. http://www.magnotta.com/Festabrew/resources/06FESTA%20HomeBrew.pdf

Can some one let me know what the risk is for leaving this wort in the bucket for longer, as you all have advised that you need almost three weeks in the primary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 20

No risk at all. I have left them in primary for several months without issues.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 26

There is no risk to leaving the wort/beer in the bucket for three weeks. The people at the store are mistaken. If it were me, I would ask them what their motivation is as it is a rather curious stance.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 854 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
There is no risk to leaving the wort/beer in the bucket for three weeks. The people at the store are mistaken. If it were me, I would ask them what their motivation is as it is a rather curious stance.
their motivation is to sell more kits at a faster pace

"my beer tastes like crap"

"you did something wrong, here buy another kit from us"

"but the guys on HBT said to wait 2-3 weeks and most said not to bother with a secondary"

"what do they know? they're not selling you anything"

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

People Like This 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
revco
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There's good reason for the confusion. Historically with homebrewing, the process has been modeled around commercial brewing concepts and processes. This has led to some recommended procedures, like short primaries and "necessary" secondaries, that are really geared around production optimization and problems that plague beer only in a large scale. What many of us have realized, through experience, is that those processes can be bent in our relatively small scale brewing. Yet, there are still many people out there who hold on to the traditional concepts. There's nothing "wrong" with these procedures, but it's extra work that, turns out, doesn't really benefit our small scale and therefore isn't worth the effort.

The "concern" with long primaries is that yeast will eventually reach autolysis (or death) and this can cause off flavors if the beer continues to rest on this dead yeast. This is more of a problem when you're dealing with 10 gallons of yeast as opposed to a few cups of yeast. It takes literally months for autolysis to be a problem in small batch brewing. Hope that helps to explain the confusion for you!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1911 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

That's it basically. Yeast quality then wasn't what it is now. autolysis is a thing of the past on our scale of brewing. So I leave mine in primary till it reaches FG. Then another 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
That's it basically. Yeast quality then wasn't what it is now. autolysis is a thing of the past on our scale of brewing. So I leave mine in primary till it reaches FG. Then another 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle.
Union, if I had a dollar for everytime I heard you say "clear or slightly misty" I'd be rich!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This is the most asked and discussed topic on here, on a daily basis there are 5 or six treads on this.

This discussion has been thoroughly covered in this thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem

Union, if I had a dollar for everytime I heard you say "clear or slightly misty" I'd be rich!
Hahaha. Just thought the same thing. I swear he's got a keyboard shortcut to auto-populate that phrase.

...not that it is bad advice, by any means.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 854 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I was joshing him on another thread about that.

but really, it's good advice and he's just hammering it to get the point across

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Quick Reply