The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Time to post -- worried about my first batch.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
altenmuenster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Time to post -- worried about my first batch.

I've really enjoyed lurking around the forum for the past week or so, and I have read the sticky on waiting for fermentation to start but . . .

The backstory:
I've been looking to begin homebrewing for some time now, doing some research and reading up and for my B-day this year my wife came through big with a deluxe brew kit from the LHBS and a Brewer's Best German Oktoberfest kit. So this Sunday I gathered my equipment, gave it a good wash and rinse, sanitized (I'll get to that later) and dove right in. . .

Everything seemed to go fine. The boil was pretty much perfect as far as I could tell, the house (and much of the street) filled up with the best smell and I was pumped!

But 72+ hours later I'm still waiting for some sign that my beer is going to do much of anything in the fermenter.

Here are my only thoughts of what 'could' have gone wrong. . .

* Sanitizer problems - was the included "no-rinse sanitizer" included with the equipmwnt kit actually just a cleaner? The included book seems to indicate it was sanitizer (oxygen-based) but there seems to be some confusion about this online.

*Poor Aeration of Wort after cooling - the instructions made no mention of this -- i only learned this was important on here after the fact.

*bad OG ?? - my first hydrometer reading was not exact science I must admit - it looked close to the upper limit of 1.056 but could have been a bit higher -- maybe closer to 1.058 - 1.060 - i took the reading at bang on 60degrees F -- i pitched the yeast at this temp too.

Otherwise temps have been pretty stable -- between 55-57 degrees taken numerous times for Primary. Directions state 53-59

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

What is the current gravity?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Have you taken a CURRENT gravity reading?????

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
What is the current gravity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Have you taken a CURRENT gravity reading?????
Jinx, you owe me a coke.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
benharper13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My first beer I was getting the yeast ready (dry yeast) and put it in too hot of water so I killed all the yeast off before I pitched it, so I don't know if that is a possibility for you, but my yeast was in almost boiling water that is why they killed off. but I got new yeast re-pitched and I'm drinking it now

Old 11-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Jinx, you owe me a coke.....
Bah, and all I have is this fridge full of Pepsi!!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Did you use dry yeast or a liquid yeast? The reason I ask is that with liquid yeast, there aren't enough yeast cells in there to really get fermentation going so it may take a LONG time before the yeast reproduce enough to ferment a lager. Like, 72-80 hours or more. You need 2 or preferable three packages of liquid yeast to ferment in the 50s. If you only used one, it will still go eventually but it will take a long while.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
altenmuenster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That was quick --

I'll go and check on the gravity as soon as I get my kid in bed.

I used the dry yeast sachet included with the kit. It said sprinkle on top and stir well with a sanitized spoon, so I did.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoop View Post
Did you use dry yeast or a liquid yeast? The reason I ask is that with liquid yeast, there aren't enough yeast cells in there to really get fermentation going so it may take a LONG time before the yeast reproduce enough to ferment a lager. Like, 72-80 hours or more. You need 2 or preferable three packages of liquid yeast to ferment in the 50s. If you only used one, it will still go eventually but it will take a long while.
Yeah, great point, I missed the fact that this appears to be a lager.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by altenmuenster View Post
That was quick --
Hey, what can we say? We have no lives. It's quite sad actually...!

Quick Reply