Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Time for me to beat a dead horse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #21
mparmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cut down on drinking? No need to over react here. Brew up another batch of good homebrew and chill out bro!

Having trouble remembering life before homebrewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #22
frydogbrews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

yeah....geeez, going straight for the nuclear option of drinking less is never a good idea. hell, three steps before you do that you need to try to make everyone else drink more...which, in a strange way, makes it seem like you are drinking less.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #23
jr14
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Ok you convinced me. I'll drink the same, if not more. Guess I'd better brew that dunkel I've been dying to try.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #24
cmoon
Recipes 

I dunno man, if you know what is wrong with your beer (infection, procedural), I don't think dumping is the sin everyone else does. A lot of brewing is about learning. Drinking bad beer isn't learning, it's punishment.

Of course there are ways to improve a bad situation, but depending on how bad it is and how much patience you have, brewing more beer (and doing it right this time) might be the best solution.

None of this violates RDWAHAHB, it does not break down at the subatomic level into ghosts and shadows

Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #25
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoon View Post
I dunno man, if you know what is wrong with your beer (infection, procedural), I don't think dumping is the sin everyone else does. A lot of brewing is about learning. Drinking bad beer isn't learning, it's punishment.

Of course there are ways to improve a bad situation, but depending on how bad it is and how much patience you have, brewing more beer (and doing it right this time) might be the best solution.

None of this violates RDWAHAHB, it does not break down at the subatomic level into ghosts and shadows
I completely agree and don't think it's a sin at all. I trust my palate and what I've personally experienced in the past more than advice on the internet.

This was just a couple weeks ago:

I'd rather just brew it again and learn, than drink ****ty beer.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #26
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
I completely agree and don't think it's a sin at all. I trust my palate and what I've personally experienced in the past more than advice on the internet.

This was just a couple weeks ago:

I'd rather just brew it again and learn, than drink ****ty beer.
I'd never dump a beer after only letting it sit in a bottle for a week. There's no harm in letting them sit in the bottle for two more months and then trying them again. Crappy beers start to taste pretty damn good after giving them time to grow up.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #27
jr14
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

My first beer (A stout) has been in bottles since April 2nd. It's still horrible, but I have this shred of hope that one day it'll magically be cured and will taste great. Until then, I still drink the horrid stuff as a reminder NOT to screw up the next batch.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #28
cmoon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
I'd never dump a beer after only letting it sit in a bottle for a week. There's no harm in letting them sit in the bottle for two more months and then trying them again. Crappy beers start to taste pretty damn good after giving them time to grow up.
Depends on if you know what went wrong with the beer.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #29
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
As I said, from experience with some off-flavors, I know some that just don't "age out." This was high in phenolics, and they weren't going anywhere. I have better beer to put in the fermentor.

Even if crappy beer starts to taste good after a while, I still didn't succeed in making a good beer to start off with. I don't brew to have gallons of beer around, I brew to make the best beer I can. Having limited space and storage capacity, I will always pick emptying the fermentor and brewing again to gain more experience, rather than sitting around playing a waiting game.

The scientist in me throws out this analogy: waiting for off flavors to go away is like treating a disease, but I'd much rather prevent that disease from happening in the first place.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #30
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
As I said, from experience with some off-flavors, I know some that just don't "age out." This was high in phenolics, and they weren't going anywhere. I have better beer to put in the fermentor.

Even if crappy beer starts to taste good after a while, I still didn't succeed in making a good beer to start off with. I don't brew to have gallons of beer around, I brew to make the best beer I can. Having limited space and storage capacity, I will always pick emptying the fermentor and brewing again to gain more experience, rather than sitting around playing a waiting game.

The scientist in me throws out this analogy: waiting for off flavors to go away is like treating a disease, but I'd much rather prevent that disease from happening in the first place.
I'm too poor to be tossing beer. And I believe in miracles, so I don't think I'll ever toss a batch without waiting it out.

Quick Reply