Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > time in fermenter vs time in bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default time in fermenter vs time in bottles

I have my second batch in the fermenter - a mini-mash Oatmeal Stout I designed using BeerSmith. It's been in there now just over a week. We have approximately 4 more weeks to go until that all-important beer-drinking holiday. Which leads me to my question - how should I time my fermentation and bottling? My original idea was 2 weeks in the fermenter and 3 weeks in the bottle (of course, some sampling would have to be done after 1 and 2 weeks in the bottle ), but I could also go 3 weeks in the fermenter and 2 weeks in the bottle.

Any thoughts? Does one week either way matter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I'd go with 3 weeks in the fermenter, 3 weeks in the bottle.

Keeping the beer on the yeast cake for three weeks will allow the yeasties to clean up after themselves. And you need at least three weeks in the bottles

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 02-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I have my second batch in the fermenter - a mini-mash Oatmeal Stout I designed using BeerSmith. It's been in there now just over a week. We have approximately 4 more weeks to go until that all-important beer-drinking holiday. Which leads me to my question - how should I time my fermentation and bottling? My original idea was 2 weeks in the fermenter and 3 weeks in the bottle (of course, some sampling would have to be done after 1 and 2 weeks in the bottle ), but I could also go 3 weeks in the fermenter and 2 weeks in the bottle.

Any thoughts? Does one week either way matter?
Well, you're talking about drinking a 5 week old beer regardless of how you divide it. If the OG is low, and it ferments pretty quickly, you could drink it that young but it won't be at its best. Leave it in the fermenter until it's done, but at least 2 weeks. It should be in bottles (at 70 degrees) for three weeks, and then chilled for a couple of days before drinking.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

5 weeks is all I've got if this is going to be drunk on St. Patty's Day. Apparently I should have started sooner, but so it goes.

I'm not planning on drinking all 5 gallons in one night, so much of it will sit in the bottles for longer. I was just curious about what was a "better" split - 2 in fermenter (assuming its done) and 3 in bottles or 3 in fermenter and 2 in bottles.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
5 weeks is all I've got if this is going to be drunk on St. Patty's Day. Apparently I should have started sooner, but so it goes.

I'm not planning on drinking all 5 gallons in one night, so much of it will sit in the bottles for longer. I was just curious about what was a "better" split - 2 in fermenter (assuming its done) and 3 in bottles or 3 in fermenter and 2 in bottles.
5 weeks is five weeks, no matter how you divide it. You may want it in bottles for three weeks, just to ensure carbonation, but it doesn't age any differently.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
5 weeks is five weeks, no matter how you divide it. You may want it in bottles for three weeks, just to ensure carbonation, but it doesn't age any differently.
Why do folks (you included I think) advise leaving the beer in the fermenter for longer than it takes to reach FG? I keep reading about yeast "cleaning up after themselves". Does this happen in the bottles as well?

My Beer Cellar

Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The reason the yeast eats it's waste in bulk is because there are no sugars for it to eat. When you bottle, you add some easy to eat sugar so why would it eat it's waste?

The reason to age beer is that green beer taste not so good and aged beer is yummy. For a while after beer has reached it's FG it's still green.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Why do folks (you included I think) advise leaving the beer in the fermenter for longer than it takes to reach FG? I keep reading about yeast "cleaning up after themselves". Does this happen in the bottles as well?
There's plenty of info on WHY we leave the beer longer in primary, we discuss it nearly every day.....If you search for "Long Primary" or "No Secondary" or just poke around long enough you'l find what we've allpretty much written ad nauseum...

and as to the bottles, if you take a look at this thread you will see what happens often if you let your beer condition...

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/..._Conditioning/

ANd this is extreem bottle conditioning...but it oftne fixes bad batches.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

It's magic

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
There's plenty of info on WHY we leave the beer longer in primary, we discuss it nearly every day.....If you search for "Long Primary" or "No Secondary" or just poke around long enough you'l find what we've allpretty much written ad nauseum...

and as to the bottles, if you take a look at this thread you will see what happens often if you let your beer condition... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/
Yeah - I get that - I'd like to leave it in the fermenter longer and then age it longer in the bottles for the best possible brew. Does Yooper's comment that "5 weeks is 5 weeks...it doesn't age any differently" mean just that 5 weeks is too short period and it won't matter how that 5 weeks is split up between fermenter and bottle. Would it matter if it were 6, 7, or 8 weeks?

My Beer Cellar

Old 02-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah - I get that - I'd like to leave it in the fermenter longer and then age it longer in the bottles for the best possible brew. Does Yooper's comment that "5 weeks is 5 weeks...it doesn't age any differently" mean just that 5 weeks is too short period and it won't matter how that 5 weeks is split up between fermenter and bottle. Would it matter if it were 6, 7, or 8 weeks?
Yes, it would matter if it was a longer time. You'll notice that in this batch. While you can drink your 5 week old beer (especially if it's a lower OG beer), it'll be much, much better at 8, 9, 10 weeks old.

Leaving it on the yeast cake after fermentation is over allows the yeast to digest its own waste products (like diacetyl) and allows the beer to condition a bit, and to clear. Young beer ("green beer") often has some flavors of green apple, yeastiness, harshness, etc, that go away with a couple of weeks of aging and it makes a remarkable difference.

I like the beer to be clear before I bottle it, so there is less sediment in the bottle. But, you generally need about three weeks of time in the bottle to ensure decent carbonation. If I were going to cut anything short, it would be the time in the fermenter, assuming fermentation was complete (by SG readings) and a few days after FG is reached to allow some "clean up".

Quick Reply