Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Time to bottle?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
MXDXD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 46
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Time to bottle?

I'll try to keep it simple.

I brewed a Saison, exactly 10 days ago. There is still a very small Krausen at the top (by that, I mean on the beer itself, not on the sides of the carboy), but no apparent airlock activity. OG was 1.053, and I worked by Belle Saison.

So, I'm at the stage where I can possibly bottle it, in order to drink it two weeks later.

I have two choices :

- A : Either I bottle tomorrow. That would mean the beer could be ready to drink roughly in two weeks (September 1st).

- B : Either I wait... another two weeks before bottling, because I'm going on vacation. Coincidentially, that means... bottling around September 1st.

No hydrometer sampling (I thought my Thief would work well in my carboy, and that was a noob mistake).

I gather that, ideally, choice B would be better -- that couldn't possibly be TOO early. I wonder if Choice A would be... well, too early considering SG? I'd probably bottle a 1.043 OG beer, but 1.053 seems a bit risky (to me, anyways). My beer isn't that clear at the moment, but that's a Saison and it's not supposed to be really clear anyways. Let's just say it's not murky at all.


I tried to read an old thread about fermentation times and it was mostly insults, rhetorics, and preaching, thus not very helpful.

__________________
MXDXD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NTXBrauer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,089
Liked 150 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I would go with choice B above. Without knowing the specific gravity at this point in time, bottle bombs could be the unfortunate outcome. The additional 2 weeks in the carboy will not hurt you beer at all, but only allow for it to clear a bit more and the yeast can clean up a bit after themselves. Good Luck!

__________________
"A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure." -Czech Proverb
NTXBrauer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
brewbama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 710
Liked 173 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

My .02: I would take a cpl hydro readings a few days apart. If stable you can package. If timing is wrong I would wait until I get back and can take the readings.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

__________________

~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Big Deck BBQ and Brew

brewbama is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 02:01 AM   #4
jrgtr42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 404
Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 470

Default

without knowing any other details, after 10 days in the fermenter and more importantly, with some probably activity still going on, I would NOT bottle under any circumstances at this point. Leaving for a couple more weeks would not hurt the beer in any way.

__________________
jrgtr42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
MXDXD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 46
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbama View Post
My .02: I would take a cpl hydro readings a few days apart. If stable you can package. If timing is wrong I would wait until I get back and can take the readings.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
That's the thing... Is it something that can safely be done without Thief? I mean I guess I could fill the Thief as much as I can, put it in my test tube, then fill the Thief again if there's a need (and transfer to test tube).

In that case, is it "safe" to put back the sample in the beer (whether with the thief or with the test tube?)
__________________
MXDXD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 AM   #6
icebob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
icebob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cahokia, IL
Posts: 737
Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Default

drink the sample, don't put it back in the fermenter, this is lokking for trouble...

__________________
icebob is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 30,950
Liked 2260 Times on 1969 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

Default

Go ahead & test it. Since it's been fermenting quite a bit, you'll want to taste it to see how it's coming along anyway. If it's stable two or three days apart, you can bottle it. But it might not be with a 1.053 OG.

__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
NEW, REVISED EDITION of book one of Time Lords 2034 series now on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
My homebrewing book "Tippy Tippy Tappy" on Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Trox
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 552
Liked 123 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

If your thief is too short just use your racking cane to draw the sample; otherwise I would wait until you are back and have bought a longer thief in which to draw a sample with prior to bottling. You might think waiting that long will be safe enough, but if you don't bother checking your FG and fermentation stalled out you could end up with bottle bombs.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Rule #1 of CAMING:

No bottles.

Rule #44,321 of CAMPING:

No Gongs.
Trox is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 03:47 AM   #9
MXDXD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 46
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Tks Trox for the suggestion. Actually, my carboy is too short for the thief. I always check out FG prior to bottling and probably wouldn't bottle my saison if its above 1.020.

__________________

____________________________________
Primary : 2Row/Sterling SmaSh
Primary : Frankenstout

MXDXD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More time in the fridge = better beer than more time in the fermenter/bottle? Rev2010 General Techniques 8 12-10-2013 03:40 PM
Decision time: To bottle or Not to bottle ryno1ryno General Beer Discussion 12 12-24-2012 11:15 PM
Time to bottle? mkelley18 Fermentation & Yeast 21 09-23-2011 01:57 PM
time in primary vs time conditioning in the bottle? pd230soi Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 09-10-2010 03:54 AM
Think it is time to bottle these or should I give it more time?? BillTheSlink Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 07-18-2010 05:26 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS