Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > is it time to bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
leroycheetah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default is it time to bottle?

I recently brewed a double i.p.a. and its been fermenting for about a week and a half and were still seeing bubbles in the airlock about once every minute or so...i currently do not have a hydrometer and cold weather may have slown down the fermentation..should i wait til the bubbles have completely stopped or would it be safe to bottle...any input is greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Bubbles mean nothing. Only way to know for sure is to take gravity readings. Invest the $8 in a hydrometer.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
metanoia
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 99

You can't be sure that active fermentation is done without a hydrometer, so you have to play it safe. Also, airlock activity is not a sigh of fermentation, just how quickly CO2 is being pushed out of the fermenter.

Give it at least two more weeks to be safe, and try to find a place that's within the temperature range of the yeast you used. And invest in a hydrometer if you can; its $12 for one and a plastic test tube at the LHBS and it really gives you a more firm grasp on fermentation.

On Deck: 60 Bells IPA [11/22 brewday]
Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I am guessing you didnt have the hydrometer to check the OG. With my iipa's, 2 weeks was good, but I could have left it alone for 3 weeks. Get a hydrometer then check the gravity before bottling. You wont know if its done until you check the gravity.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
leroycheetah
Recipes 

Thanks for all the advice my beer turned out fantastic! Finally have my hydrometer and plan to take on advanced brewing techniques for the next brew.

Quick Reply