Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Time after bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
DrewsBrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Time after bottling

I muffed my first batch yesterday, but will try again this coming weekend. In the mean time, I've been reading several of the threads on the site and have one question that has been answered to varying degrees but still leaves me wondering: when is beer the best tasting after bottling? Seems that books will tell you to start drinking around two weeks, but I've seen some posts here suggesting waiting up to a couple of months after bottling.

A second question is, how long will it last before turning funky? A couple of my friends who homebrew say two months after bottling (which seems to conflict with the posts about how long to wait before drinking)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2005, 01:26 AM   #2
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The refrence for 2 weeks is the amount of time it takes for your bottles to carbonate at 70 degrees. You can drink it then but depending on the style, it will improve with age. Usually, the higher the OG of your brew, the longer you should wait before drinking. Of course you can start sampling at 2 weeks and make your own mind up if it's ready to drink or not.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 09-27-2005, 01:41 AM   #3
drvodka
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottT
Of course you can start sampling at 2 weeks and make your own mind up if it's ready to drink or not.
yeah right. I couldnt wait longer than 1 week before sampling my first batch and have just tried the second bottle of it now, 9 days after bottling. It poured a nice thick head (which retained!) and was slightly more carbonated. It might need longer than the 2 weeks though as it started with an OG of 1.062....however, I've told all of my mates and they're coming around on the weekend to try it...oops?
Drinking: Aventinus

Old 09-27-2005, 04:02 AM   #4
Sasquatch

Recipes 

I am following the 1 2 3 rule here... 1 week in primary, 2 in secondary, 3 in bottles. I have saved a brew from June, and had it a couple days ago - tasted just like it did in July. It's drinkable after a week or so in bottles, but it still has a green flavour. After about 3 weeks or a month, the carbonation is really full, and very pleasant, and the flavours are really nice. I understand that brewing with fruit extracts etc you need to age for like 6 months....

Anyway, worry not about your homebrew going bad by sitting too long. Worry about getting the next batch going right away so you don't run out.

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 09-27-2005, 04:06 AM   #5
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sasquatch is right. As you're beginning to learn, the key is brewing enough so you have something on hand always. See what happened to El P? The meter maid drove by PLUS no homebrew ready.

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I've never had a batch that aged so long that it went bad - as the others have noted, your problem will be keeping it on the shelf. I usually do like this: Two weeks in the primary, move it into the bottling bucket and bottle it up, drinking that last half bottle on bottling day just to get a sense of how it came out, and starting to open them up a week or so after bottling. This is for pale ales (mostly what I make), which seem to be highly forgiving. It gets better as it ages, but it is good after a week.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
cap46
Recipes 

I do 1 week primary, at least 1 week secondary, bottle wait at least 1 week to try. I also put at least 10 bottles on a shelf in my basement to hold on to as long as I can. Just drank the last of a marzen that I brewed back in Feb. It tastes better then the batch I brewed in july. It's hard to let good beer just sit on a shelf.

Old 09-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Been following the 1-2-3 rule of thumb, or at least trying to. I sampled my first batch after a week in bottles. It tasted a little rough (rougher then before bottling even), but should age out just fine in another couple weeks.

Old 09-27-2005, 06:53 PM   #9
ryser2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I do more of the 1-2-at least 3 rule... I've been known to crack one earlier out of impatience, but normally I end up waiting at least a month if not longer. You can definitely tell the difference... you would be surprised how much of a difference an extra 2 weeks can make in a bottle.

On that same thought though, I have never let a batch age for over 6 weeks before I started drinking from it liberally. However, by the time I get to the last bottles, the beer is always tasting better than it did when I started.

The point: In general, the longer you wait, the better it gets.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:04 AM   #10
DrewsBrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thank you all for your input. The batch will be a nut-brown ale. I'm getting the impression that it would be best to let it sit in the bottle for at least a couple of weeks, which I'm okay with. I tend to be of the mind set that a few more days waiting for a better experience is worth the effort. The local microbrews are pretty tasty for now. Of course, I might find them less tolerable once I've been tasting my own brew for a while!

I'd say that if cap46 just finished off a beer bottled in February, I won't likely see any of mine go bad.

Tap 1:
Tap 2:
Tap 3:
Bottles:

Quick Reply