Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ticking bomb?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
akimbo78
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Ticking bomb?

backstory: first all grain batch. dark belgian strong. mashed too high. pre boil sg was low. added dme to compensate. pre pitch sg was too high 1.09. double pitched belgian strong ale yeast. pictures are 24 hours after pitching. offgassing is very vigorous. i didn't have any hose that fit over the airlock, but my bottling wand fits in that so i have the hose attached to the wand, and into the airlock. the lid is still bowed and i'm praying this sucker doesn't go off. there is about 5.5 to 5.75 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket.

2011-11-07_18-56-13_610.jpg   2011-11-07_18-56-21_418.jpg   2011-11-07_18-56-41_351.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Sarrsipius
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

is the airlock allowing gas to escape (is there bubbling going on in whatever you have the other end in)? If the airlock is clogged I'd recomend getting it out of the cover asap to allow the pressure to escape. I'm assuming the cover was not bowed like that when you put it on the bucket.

Just be ready for some krausen to blow out when you pull the airlock...I've suffered a yeast facial before when doing this.

Conical : bohemian pils
Keg 1: Brown Ale__Keg 2: Hellas
Keg 3: Hellas__Keg 4: air
Keg 5: AIR 6: Edworts Apflewien

My HERMS rig

Old 11-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I hope you removed the check valve assembly from that bottling wand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Mpavlik22
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akimbo78
pre boil sg was low. added dme to compensate. pre pitch sg was too high 1.09.
Why did u add dme to the proboil volume? That is probably the reason your post boil reading was too high.

"If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail"

Old 11-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
akimbo78

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrsipius View Post
is the airlock allowing gas to escape (is there bubbling going on in whatever you have the other end in)? If the airlock is clogged I'd recomend getting it out of the cover asap to allow the pressure to escape. I'm assuming the cover was not bowed like that when you put it on the bucket.

Just be ready for some krausen to blow out when you pull the airlock...I've suffered a yeast facial before when doing this.
i have the hose sitting in a half gallon of star san solution, its bubbling like crazy. i changed the airlock once to make sure the bottom was not pluggeg with krausen. i am surprised there is no krausen coming out at this point, just gas. these buckets seem to be pretty airtight.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
akimbo78

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
I hope you removed the check valve assembly from that bottling wand!
just the tube.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
akimbo78

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpavlik22 View Post
Why did u add dme to the proboil volume? That is probably the reason your post boil reading was too high.

added the dme with 15 minutes left in the boil. i am guessing my pre-boil gravity measurement was wrong, and i just added more fermentables to the mix causing the post boil gravity to be above the target. when i did the backwards math it calculates to 1.035 preboil, instead of the measured 1.024. i wasn't going to get into all of that since my concern now is the lid blowing off. the target preboil was 1.046. i need a refractometer.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by akimbo78 View Post
i have the hose sitting in a half gallon of star san solution, its bubbling like crazy. i changed the airlock once to make sure the bottom was not pluggeg with krausen. i am surprised there is no krausen coming out at this point, just gas. these buckets seem to be pretty airtight.
Even if the bucket is airtight and the off-gasing is crazy there should still be normal air-flow and no bowing. There might be a slight clog somewhere that may just get worse and worse followed by "boom"

Why not just stick the 3/8" hose you have attached to the bottling wand into the grommet in the lid? Instant blow-off tube.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 11-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
akimbo78

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Even if the bucket is airtight and the off-gasing is crazy there should still be normal air-flow and no bowing. There might be a slight clog somewhere that may just get worse and worse followed by "boom"

Why not just stick the 3/8" hose you have attached to the bottling wand into the grommet in the lid? Instant blow-off tube.
thats why i'm posting. i was hoping to see some krausen in the blowoff. almost like its not offgassing fast enough. the reason for the setup is that i have 4 airlocks and only one length of tube. for the cost its silly not to have more and i will get some more, but this was a last minute decision. i can change the airlocks out quickly if they become clogged and they clean a lot easier than the tube.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
bmeyer46
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

just pop the lid and let the thing sit on there loosely...as long as it has krausen on top it will be fine.

Quick Reply