Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale question

So, I'm trying to do this beer before Thanksgiving, I know I'll be close, but I'm going for it anyway. After reviewing the recipe I made my order, only to realize that it calls for DME, instead of LME. So, I'm technically about 1.5lbs shy of what I need DME wise. I figure I may as well by 2 pounds and just go ahead and use all of it. This will bump my ABV up to around 7%. I'm going to use Wyeast 1318 too for the yeast.

My question is, should I adjust the pumpkin or spices amount to counter balance the additional ABVs? Will they mute the taste?

Thanks

Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

No. 0.5 lbs of extra DME is not going to make enough of a difference in the overall beer to make you adjust the spices.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The spices are a personal thing anyways, start with 1/2 tsp then go from there...also know that the spices do get more pronounced, atleast they did for me over time. Upon tasting it initially at room temperature it was like meh this needs more, but the GF said it was fine so i left it...after chilling for a few days and carbed its totally different.

Quick Reply