The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
Brett3rThanU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale Opinions

How did yours turn out? I brewed his recipe to the T, but am rather disappointed in the results. When fermentation first started it smelled great, like pumpkin pie, but now after carbonating in the bottle for 3 weeks there's hardly any pumpkin aroma or flavor. If I gave it to someone they definitely wouldn't guess it's a pumpkin ale. How did everyone else's turn out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Mine is fermenting now (3 days in). It smelled great in the kettle. However, a lot of aroma from a beer is driven off during the primary. This is ONE of the reasons why dry hopping is done in the secondary. With the spice flavors I'm sure it's the same. Did you add a spice tea? Many people in the Thunderstruck ale thread stated that they do a spice tea after the primary is complete. I'm planning to do the same and the spice additions will be based on the flavor of the sample I pull.

Is the beer good even though not what you were expecting?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nah, I didn't do any spices in the secondary, I guess I should have.

I'm not really a fan, it's just lacking something. Probably the spice which leaves just a very low hopped beer.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
jcryan2
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I was very happy with my batch. First time I'd brewed it. I kegged mine and let it sit for six weeks before drinking it. I'd planned on having it around for Halloween this week but the keg blew a week ago so next year I'm going to brew a double batch.

I did a spice tea in secondary and the flavors from that were an important part of the brew. I suspect without the spice the brew is missing a lot.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

jcryan2: How much spice did you add to the secondary. Would you be able to provide me the measurements you added to both the boil kettle and secondary. It would be nice to have something to go off of when I add my spice tea. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
sea2summit3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett3rThanU View Post
How did yours turn out? I brewed his recipe to the T, but am rather disappointed in the results. When fermentation first started it smelled great, like pumpkin pie, but now after carbonating in the bottle for 3 weeks there's hardly any pumpkin aroma or flavor. If I gave it to someone they definitely wouldn't guess it's a pumpkin ale. How did everyone else's turn out?
I've found the spice is what makes the beer pumpkin. If you've ever made pumpkin pie and tried the filling before adding the spice, it tastes nothing like pumpkin pie! I had great success with Thunderstruck last year and designed my own pumpkin beer this year- a Maple Pumpkin Ale. Last year- quality pumpkin pie spice. This year- cheap pumpkin pie spice. Last year- Awesome flavor. This year- WEAK! Yours could be a spice quality issue as well!

Not sure how much I added... just followed the original Thunderstruck recipe.

Primary:-
Secondary:IPA, just "IPA"
Bottled: Applewood Smoked Porter, Windy Bridge Stout, Maple Chocolate Pumpkin Ale, Maple Pumpkin Ale, California Steam, Black Cat Porter, Irish Coffee Stout
Kegged: Blackberry Stout, Nut Brown, Sweet Cider, Apfelwein #2, IPA, SNCA Clone

Old 10-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well my fiance tried it last night and she tasted the pumpkin and actually liked it. I guess all the IPA's I've been drinking lately have killed my taste buds.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
dracus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just racked mine into bottles. I used 1.5 tsp of the pampered chef clone in a spice tea at secondary. It was rather spicy and delicious. I used no spice in boil and brewed extract version. The only change I made was using LME. Ill let you know how it is post bubbles. It does need a bit to mellow.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #9
jcryan2
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

For the spice tea I used the spices listed in the Thunderstruck AG recipe and made a tea. I used about 8 ounces of very hot water to seep it in. After an overnight soak I poured off the tea and added it to the secondary carboy.

I added nothing to the brew kettle.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #10
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcryan2 View Post
For the spice tea I used the spices listed in the Thunderstruck AG recipe and made a tea. I used about 8 ounces of very hot water to seep it in. After an overnight soak I poured off the tea and added it to the secondary carboy.

I added nothing to the brew kettle.
I see. That helps. Thank you much!

Quick Reply