Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Three times in a row No Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #21
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Look for a crack on the hyd. A small, almost invisible leak will cause your hyd to sink too much and give you bad readings that may disappear or change over time as the leak drys out.

Look very carefully, they can be really sneaky.

Edit: Wow, you brewed this on 5/4 and saw nothing but floaties on 5/5? I've never seen a fermentation rise and fall that quick. It could happen, I just haven't seen it. Now I'm really confused.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2011, 02:12 AM   #22
o4_srt
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I noticed you said your one batch tasted flat. How flat? Completely?

There is usually a tiny bit of carbonation after fermentation, at least, in my experience.

That's why carb calculators ask for the beer temperature when determining how much priming sugar to add. The calculators take into account how much co2 is already dissolved in the beer, then determine how much sugar is needed to produce the amount of co2 required.

If the beer is completely flat, chances are, it didn't ferment. Especially not overnight.

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale

Old 05-07-2011, 02:38 AM   #23
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Read how to brew by John Palmer and read post learn from this site first. Im glad i spent months in this forum researching before brewing even though i made a few annoying errors the first brews were not even dumpable.Just not as good after another few then a dozen...

Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 AM   #24
BobTheAverage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by o4_srt View Post
I noticed you said your one batch tasted flat. How flat? Completely?

There is usually a tiny bit of carbonation after fermentation, at least, in my experience.

That's why carb calculators ask for the beer temperature when determining how much priming sugar to add. The calculators take into account how much co2 is already dissolved in the beer, then determine how much sugar is needed to produce the amount of co2 required.

If the beer is completely flat, chances are, it didn't ferment. Especially not overnight.
The beer tastes like beer that has been left in a bottle too long. I guess its not completely flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenshead View Post
Look for a crack on the hyd. A small, almost invisible leak will cause your hyd to sink too much and give you bad readings that may disappear or change over time as the leak drys out.

Look very carefully, they can be really sneaky.

Edit: Wow, you brewed this on 5/4 and saw nothing but floaties on 5/5? I've never seen a fermentation rise and fall that quick. It could happen, I just haven't seen it. Now I'm really confused.
After pulling the hydrometer out of my beer i saw beer down in the bottom of the hydrometer. Guess this shoots down the REALLY high alcohol beer thing.

I pitched the first yeast on 5/1 and then didn't open it up until 5/4 when I repitched. I may not have noticed the floaties of 5/4. My brewer is in a dimly lit closet. I guess that I missed the foam entirely.

Also I used a pan of boiling water to sanitize my hydrometer because I had already dumped my sanitizer. I guess this was a bad idea because the the heat must have cracked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
Read how to brew by John Palmer and read post learn from this site first. Im glad i spent months in this forum researching before brewing even though i made a few annoying errors the first brews were not even dumpable.Just not as good after another few then a dozen...
That is very good advice and it is where I am getting most of my guidance from. I guess the "no fermentation" was a little bit of hyperbole in the title of the thread.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:05 AM   #25
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

You very easily could have missed the full fury of the ferment over three days. That, plus the broken hydrometer tells me you probably have a good beer working.

Get a new hydrometer and don't boil it.

Also, many will advise you to keep a spare around the house, they break easily.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #26
BobTheAverage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any idea where I can pick a hydrometer up locally. My nearest LHBS is 300 miles away.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. I really do appreciate it even if it was mostly to calm my worried mind.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #27
joetothemo
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheAverage View Post
Any idea where I can pick a hydrometer up locally. My nearest LHBS is 300 miles away.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. I really do appreciate it even if it was mostly to calm my worried mind.
Morebeer.com has a deal going for free shipping on orders of $39 and up. If you also wanna get started ordering ingredients for that next batch, that may be the way to go.

In Primary:
Amarillo Pale Ale
A Stout I brewed for a guy as a lesson

In Bottles:
Jamil's Belgian Tripel
Centennial Pale Ale

On Draft:
Imperial Red Ale

Old 05-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #28
BobTheAverage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetothemo View Post
Morebeer.com has a deal going for free shipping on orders of $39 and up. If you also wanna get started ordering ingredients for that next batch, that may be the way to go.
Yeah well I already have the ingredients for my next batch so that doesn't do me a lot of good. I have "repaired" my hydrometer and it will work for a while I hope.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #29
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I struggled a lot with yeast when I first started too. I had to double pitch my first batch and switch yeast on my second.

I'd suggest you start doing starters. I haven't had a single problem since i switched to starters.

-------------------------------------------------
Keg 1 : Bee Cave Brewery Oktoberfest Ale
Keg 2 : Bee Cave Brewery Oktoberfest Ale
On Deck: Doppelbock for lent

Quick Reply