Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Three times in a row No Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
janivar123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So how does the 3 first tryes taste?
seems to me that they all have fermented out pretty well

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
o4_srt
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Fermenting with a Carboy or plastic ale pail?

The ale pails are notorious for not sealing correctly when you put the lid on. No seal = no airlock activity.

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale

Old 05-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4914 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheAverage View Post
I posted a lot of edits to the OP.

I checked just now and there is whitish stuff floating in the body of the brew. Not on top like foam but down in the brew. Yeast colonies? The SG has dropped from 1.045 to under .99. So i guess that means it is fermenting. The recipe called for a final gravity of 1.01. No idea why this happened.

I am not treating the water with anything.
Beer cannot ferment under .990. So, either you got a stray infection or your hydrometer is faulty. How's your sanitation?

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #14
o4_srt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Beer cannot ferment under .990. So, either you got a stray infection or your hydrometer is faulty. How's your sanitation?
Also, what temp was the sample at when the gravity was measured?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #15
elbastardo
Recipes 

Just today I had A similar problem, Or atleast in the fermintation part

I brewed 3 batches last week, All similar. And 2 of them are popping away just fine, and then theres one with NO acivity, the water is just level. So I added some exra yaest and wait it out another day. So today I thought about adding more yeast, so I stured it allitle (vigirous like strangling). And I found A needle sized hole in the airlock, Just about the exact same size as A golden retriever puppy with needle teeth So now the batch of super yeast rhubarb tangalow is popping away like crazy

Could be the airlock Was for me

Old 05-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

OP, have you tasted any of these batches?

Seems like you are assuming they are no good based on airlock activity and or how the beer looks in the carboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 05-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #17
BobTheAverage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The temperature is usually around 70F.

I did not taste the first batch but there was never any change in the hydrometer reading. So I knew there was no fermentation.

I tasted the second batch but it had gone sour because I let it sit for a week while I looked for more yeast.

I just tasted the third batch it tastes warm flat and hoppy but not sour. I guess that is how it is supposed to taste. Also the white stuff floating just below the surface is gone. It is a opaque plastic bucket not a carboy so I can't tell if it sunk to the bottom or not.

I was kinda expected some sign of life other than some weird things floating in the brew. Is it usual to have no sign of life other than hydrometer dropping?

Old 05-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #18
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If your descriptions accurate and complete, there has to be something you're doing that's killing the yeast. The only two things I can think of that will do that is temps over~110 degress and too much residual cleaning/sanitizing chemical residue. That explains your first two failures.

How long after pitching did you see the floating things in the brew? If it was more than two days or so, you may have just missed the Kraisen and everything's good. If not, you still have an over-sanitation issue from what I can see.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #19
BobTheAverage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The SG was taken at around 70F. However the SG has continued to drop. It is off the marked scale of the hydrometer but it appears to be somewhere between .98 and .97. This seems very odd. Will the yeast continue to work and clean up flavors with this much alcohol?

I first saw the white stuff floating on Thursday. It is gone now.

Didn't taste the first try but the hydrometer never moved.
Second try sat for a week before repitch and when I finally tasted it, it was undrinkably sour.
Just tasted the third batch. It is warm flat and overly-hoppy but not sour. It tastes pretty much like a beer should if you leave it in the open. So I guess I just wait for another week or two before I bottle.

I guess the beer did ferment. A few unanswered questions remain.

Is there any possibility that an infection gave my beer such a low specific gravity but didn't turn it sour?

How common are faulty hydrometers? It is new and they don't really seem like there are that many things that could go wrong with one. Besides it reads water at 1.001 at 70F which it should.

If the specific gravity is as low as it the hydrometer says will my yeast continue to do their work?

Old 05-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #20
o4_srt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheAverage
The SG was taken at around 70F. However the SG has continued to drop. It is off the marked scale of the hydrometer but it appears to be somewhere between .98 and .97. This seems very odd. Will the yeast continue to work and clean up flavors with this much alcohol?

I first saw the white stuff floating on Thursday. It is gone now.

Didn't taste the first try but the hydrometer never moved.
Second try sat for a week before repitch and when I finally tasted it, it was undrinkably sour.
Just tasted the third batch. It is warm flat and overly-hoppy but not sour. It tastes pretty much like a beer should if you leave it in the open. So I guess I just wait for another week or two before I bottle.

I guess the beer did ferment. A few unanswered questions remain.

Is there any possibility that an infection gave my beer such a low specific gravity but didn't turn it sour?

How common are faulty hydrometers? It is new and they don't really seem like there are that many things that could go wrong with one. Besides it reads water at 1.001 at 70F which it should.

If the specific gravity is as low as it the hydrometer says will my yeast continue to do their work?
Are you sure your hydro was calibrated at 70 and not 60? Mine has correction values for temps over 60

Quick Reply