Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Thoughts on Wheat Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
NorCalAngler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Thoughts on Wheat Recipe?

I'm going to do an American wheat beer next so I can make something my wife will drink, too. Here is the recipe I plan on making.

Specialty Grains:
1lb Domestic 2 Row
1lb Red Flaked Wheat

6lb Wheat LME

1oz Cascade (60min)
1oz Cascade (5min)

1. Should I decrease the steeping grains down to 1/2 or 3/4 lb each?
2. The recipe I based this on used Williamette as the bittering hops and Cascade as the flavoring hops, but the AA is comparable between the two and my LHBS only sells 2oz bags so I figured I could use Cascade as the bittering hop. I don't want it too bitter though and BrewPal is telling me this hop schedule will give me 32IBU. Should I go .5oz Cascade to bitter, which will give me 21IBU?
3. I have an extra pale ale on SafAle05 right now and I was planning on washing that yeast for this batch since it did an amazing job attenuating down to 1.009 after a week. Any issues going from a Pale Ale to a Wheat with the same yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I don't see any huge issue going from a Pale Ale to an American Wheat with that yeast. I think I'd drop the bittering addition down a little like you suggested.

Not really sure what you are doing with the grains? Is it a minimash? 2 row and flaked wheat can't be steeped. If you want to mash, you should bump the 2 row up to 2lbs. If you were planning on just steeping you will be safe to cut out those grains. Wheat extract is usually a mix of pils and wheat malts anyways.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Catch-22
Recipes 

I'm not big on wheat beers but here is what I have heard.

If you are using Wheat LME, it generally is a 60/40 split with Barley. You really don't need any steeping grains.

The SafAle will probably give you some fruity esters you may not want in this beer.

Dwight Schrute: In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would suggest a wheat beer yeast over s-05. I have made 2 wheats, no american wheats though, but thought the wheat beer yeast add to the flavor profile.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thank you for the suggestions. From what I understand the enzymes in the 2 row will unleash some of the sugars in the wheat if I steep them. I also read that steeping the wheat will add some body, texture and head retention. It sounds like I'm off base here?

Dave: I'm trying to avoid the German/Belgian wheat yeast flavors and go with a cleaner profile that allows the wheat flavor to come through typical of an American wheat.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Edcculus
Recipes 

Looks like hes going for an American Wheat. I'd hesisate to use a German Wheat yeast in this. The US-05 is probably what he wants to use.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Edcculus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAngler View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. From what I understand the enzymes in the 2 row will unleash some of the sugars in the wheat if I steep them. I also read that steeping the wheat will add some body, texture and head retention. It sounds like I'm off base here?
Depends on how you do it, hence my steep vs minimash question. If you steep the grains in water like you would normally do a extract + steeping grain beer, you will just get a bunch of starch water. If you want to do the mini mash, there is nothing wrong with that. Just do a search. There is a lot of info here on how to do it properly.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Catch-22
Recipes 

Use an american wheat yeast. Mr. Malty swears by a kolsch yeast at 62 but I haven't tried it.

The LME has already had that done for you unless you're looking for a heavier mouth feel with the flaked wheat

Dwight Schrute: In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

White labs WLP320 American Wheat
Wyeast 1010 American Wheat

Old 02-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thank you for the tips on the mini-mash; That's the way I'll go with these extra grains. This leads to a second question and it may be subjective. Will there be a noticeable difference in final beer quality by doing the mini-mash vs. just going extract only? Will the mini-mash add enough character to the beer to make it worth the extra time?

My first attempt at home brewing was a one gallon all grain kit so I'm familiar with the process of extracting the fermentable sugars from the grains. I made other mistakes like overcarbination and oxidation from improper siphoning, but I learned enough that I'm comfortable with mashing this small amount of grain.

Quick Reply