Thoughts on tea beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexbking1997

Reaction score
I just got done brewing an American bock that smells amazing. My favorite craft brewery of all time is Dogfish head and they make a really good beer that has tea steeped in it. So I got 5 oz of a black citrus tea and made 1 qt of pretty strong tea that was later added to my wort. I made a 5 gallon batch, any thoughts on how it will turn out?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I probably should have made a sample batch but I definitely suggest trying it! The guy at the tea store gave me like 50% off if I promised to bring him some of the beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've tried a (raw/sheng) Pu-er APA. Four gallons, one control (no tea), one with cold-brewed tea pre-primary, one with cold-brewed tea in secondary, one "dry-tea'ed" in secondary. Everything tasted just like the control batch. Wrong kind of beer? Wrong kind of tea? Not enough tea? I still don't know, but I'm still interested. I'm hoping, after a few years of learning and honing the craft, to go small-scale pro here in China, hence the desire to make some quality tea beers.

tl;dr - Keep us informed!

Update? Still lagering or carbonating? I'm waiting with bated breath, really want to see if you managed to get some good tea flavor into the beer.

I brewed an Arnold Palmer Amber this weekend. Added a pound of black tea right before flameout and left it in while chilling and transferring. Sample had a very strong tea flavor. We'll see how she ends up.

I am doing this this week end actually. I am Brewing a Nice English Mild and going to add some Pu'er to it. I am basically going to brew about a quart of the tea and add it to the wort @ 15min left I think.

Not sure if anyone watches BrewDogs but they made a teas similar to this and people loved it. They added the tea to the wort at the start and just threw it all in.

Either way I am looking forward to brewing this up sounds like it will be a nice Refreshing summer brew.

Hey guys I'm so sorry for the late response, I've been in South America for a little while. Anyways, I left the fermenting process up to my best friend while I was gone and everything turned out fine. Fine is definitely an understatement by the way! This is one of the best brews I have ever tasted and I wrote down the ingredients I used and will try to get them posted when I find the list but it rocks! It's almost like the scene from that Disney movie, Ratatouille, where the rat tastes good cheese for the first time and goes into a mental coma from all the different flavors. I definitely recommend brewing this beer, not only is it a perfect summer beer but I would enjoy this all day everyday.

How did u loose an experimental beer recipe? Always always keep up front in journal

Is it that obvious?

You'd think but I keep all my recipes in a binder and I'm moving but I'll dig them out and share

I find that caffeine and alcohol go to war in my system........... I can't imagine brewing a beer with any caffeine in it! Rapid pulse, shortness of breath, etc...... Not immediately, but usually hours later in bed. I haven't had that problem since I quit mixing the two....

H.W.

Okay guys So I ordered the tea to put in my English mild it should be here this week hopefully by tuesday. Depending on time ( I coach Little League) I hope to have this in the fermentor ASAP. I will post the Recipe once completed.

Seriously wingnut. Get ur priorities straight. Beer before family....... Wait. That didn't come right

Is it that obvious?

Hmmm... I've never tried any beer with tea added.... I need to look for this Dogfish Head to try.. if it isn't real limited.

So I had to switch the Tea I ordered. The first place never completed my order. So I ordered 4oz of Yunnan Jig from Adagio Tea. Should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Was really hoping to get this brewed this week end but it may not work out, Update on the Little League. We have a game today tomorrow and Saturday, then easter on Sunday. Might be a late night brew or early morning lol. Or I could miss out on Easter at the In Laws, I prefer that.

So I had to switch the Tea I ordered. The first place never completed my order. So I ordered 4oz of Yunnan Jig from Adagio Tea. Should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Was really hoping to get this brewed this week end but it may not work out, Update on the Little League. We have a game today tomorrow and Saturday, then easter on Sunday. Might be a late night brew or early morning lol. Or I could miss out on Easter at the In Laws, I prefer that.

Weren't you originally planning on using pu-er? A Yunnan red tea (sorry, black tea in English) is what I've been thinking of using for my next attempt at a tea beer, but it's definitely different from pu-er.

Weren't you originally planning on using pu-er? A Yunnan red tea (sorry, black tea in English) is what I've been thinking of using for my next attempt at a tea beer, but it's definitely different from pu-er.

I was yes but the order never went through and after thinking about it more, A Pu erh seems like it might not fit the English Mild I am going to brew. So I cancelled the order and went with Yunnan.

Back