The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Third attempt and still no good!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #71
xHeight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMiner View Post
Why don't more people use the dishwasher to clean pots and fermenters?
I live in a small apartment with no dishwasher. I really wish I had one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #72
dannylerch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I Dont think he added water to make the wort 5 gallons. It probably would taste off and super concentrated. Plus all the other things he messed up on. Read a brewing book homie!

Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #73
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
Are you using tap water for brewing and/or topping up after the boil?

If your tap water contains Chlorine and/or chloramine those can lead to plasticky, or band-aid, type off flavours/smells.

Leaving your brewing (tap) water in an open vessel overnight before a brew session will allow the chlorine to dissipate but chloramine is a bit more stubborn. You can, however, use Campden tabs to remedy that.

Either that or use bottled water to do a batch and see if that makes the required difference.
Huh. I always use tap water fresh from the city supply. No noticable chloriune taste or smell, but I assume they are there. No off tastes in any of my 25 or so beers. (of course Murphy is probably listening)

Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #74
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer
Huh. I always use tap water fresh from the city supply. No noticable chloriune taste or smell, but I assume they are there. No off tastes in any of my 25 or so beers. (of course Murphy is probably listening)
Can't really comment on the the chemical composition of the water you're using, as it would appear you are getting favorable results, but the OP mentions plasticky type flavours after using bleach to clean and also after leaving the bleach out of the equation and getting the same results. That's why I brought up the chlorine/chloramine possibility in tap water, which seems to get mentioned quite a lot on here as a possibility for those type of off flavours/smells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHeight View Post

This is my third time brewing on my own so far and none have turned out well.

Tonight I transferred to the secondary. The primary has a very short krausen ring and a very pungent smell. Almost chemical. It's exactly how my other two have smelled.

The flavor of my previous two has been plastic-y and makes your mouth feel dry (and smooth? if that makes sense?). I looked it up and saw that a lot of times it has to do with cleaning solutions you use to sanitize. I was using a very mild bleach solution. I changed it up this time and went with Oxy Clean and some Star San. Same results.

Have also heard that sometimes a wild yeast infecting the brew can result in similar type smell/flavour but have yet to experience it myself.

The water I've used for most of my brewing so far has been bottled but the last couple I've used Campden tabs in my tap water, as I know, for a fact, that it's pretty heavily chlorinated and possibly treated with chloramine too, so still waiting to see the end product.

Quick Reply