Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Third attempt and still no good!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #11
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 134

You said you pour your hot wort directly into your bucket then pitch your yeast, no? Are you chilling your wort at all prior to pitching yeast? If not, I can almost guarantee that's the source of at least most of your off flavors. Yeast work best when pitched cool (for the most part)- for ale, I pitch around 64F. Good luck!!

xHeight Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #12
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHeight

Hmm the instructions from Midwest supplies says transfer to your secondary after only 5-7 days. Should it stay in the primary for 14 then transfer to the secondary?
You're fine. I primary for 10 days then keg. No difference between the beers I leave 2+ weeks. Meh.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #13
xHeight
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
You said you pour your hot wort directly into your bucket then pitch your yeast, no? Are you chilling your wort at all prior to pitching yeast? If not, I can almost guarantee that's the source of at least most of your off flavors. Yeast work best when pitched cool (for the most part)- for ale, I pitch around 64F. Good luck!!
OH right sorry I left that part out. I cool in the sink with ice until it gets to about 80 degrees F. Takes about 20 minutes from boil to 80.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHeight

OH right sorry I left that part out. I cool in the sink with ice until it gets to about 80 degrees F. Takes about 20 minutes from boil to 80.
Most ale yeasts are going to throw off some gnarly esters when you pitch that warm. I don't even let my fermenting beer get over 70F. I'm going to say that is likely a source of your problem. For your next batch, try to get the wort down to 66F prior to pitching yeast. Even if you have to keep just the wort in your fermenter (covered) for a bit before pitching, you will make better beer.

EDIT: google homebrew swamp cooler
xHeight Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #15
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHeight View Post
I use about 1.5 oz of Star San - sometimes a little more per 5 jug (bucket or carboy).

While I'm not exactly sure of the temperature in the closet, I know that it can't be that drastic. I keep my house at about 65-70 degrees all the time and closet that it's in is well insulated. I should probably buy a thermometer for this. Suggestions? I'm a pretty tech savvy person so I think it would be awesome to have a thermometer that connects to my network so I could check with my phone or computer.

All of these have spent at least 8 days in the primary.
You are using too much starsan, can't say if it's ruining your beer , but the instructions call for 1 ounce per 5 gallons of water. Personally for what I do I just use a half ounce for 2.5 gallons and reserve some. Starsan doesn't require soaking or immersion just enough contact time before use (at least 30 seconds, you can wait a minute if you choose)
Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #16
xHeight
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Most ale yeasts are going to throw off some gnarly esters when you pitch that warm. I don't even let my fermenting beer get over 70F. I'm going to say that is likely a source of your problem. For your next batch, try to get the wort down to 66F prior to pitching yeast. Even if you have to keep just the wort in your fermenter (covered) for a bit before pitching, you will make better beer.

EDIT: google homebrew swamp cooler
I definitely feel like this could be a perpetrator.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #17
CoalCreekBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHeight View Post

Then I brew. I use a wood or plastic spoon. I just wash that and sanitize it in the boiling water.
Wood is very hard to keep sanitary, I would recommend the plastic, or get stainless steel.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #18
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Are you using tap water for brewing and/or topping up after the boil?

If your tap water contains Chlorine and/or chloramine those can lead to plasticky, or band-aid, type off flavours/smells.

Leaving your brewing (tap) water in an open vessel overnight before a brew session will allow the chlorine to dissipate but chloramine is a bit more stubborn. You can, however, use Campden tabs to remedy that.

Either that or use bottled water to do a batch and see if that makes the required difference.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #19
Norie_
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCreekBeer

Wood is very hard to keep sanitary, I would recommend the plastic, or get stainless steel.
I could be wrong but I feel if you are using wood to stir your mash and hop additions during boil, you should be okay. It is once you have cooled your wort to temp that you should be precautionary.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #20
CoalCreekBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norie_ View Post
I could be wrong but I feel if you are using wood to stir your mash and hop additions during boil, you should be okay. It is once you have cooled your wort to temp that you should be precautionary.
Agreed, however I cannot tell you how many times I have reached for a unsterilized spoon to stir with the immersion chiller (use stainless steel for mashing, plastic for the immersion to keep from beating up the copper).

Quick Reply