Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Third 5 gallon batch...no bubbles or krausen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Glaurung30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Third 5 gallon batch...no bubbles or krausen

So last sunday I brewed an AK-47 Pale Ale Kit from Norther Brewer. I followed the directions perfectly. Now I never have much activity in my airlock but the last two batches I have had a strong foam at the top. With this one there is no foam at all and I can't see any bubbling really. There is a little but of gunk around the top on the edges but I was just wondering if this sometimes happens and the beer still turns out okay?

I did use something different to clean out my bucket. I used some regular oxyclean and then rinsed it out really well, and then used bleack water on the bucket, but I did this a couple of days before I put the beer in it. I'm hoping this didn't mess anything up.

I guess time will tell.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

What temperature did you pitch the yeast at? Did you rinse the bucket well after sanitizing with bleach? Bleach is a perfectly good sanitizer as long as your rinse very, very well to avoid off flavors.

I would take a gravity reading and repitch some fresh yeast if the gravity dictates.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2199 Times on 1915 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Even that Cooper's sanitizer crystal stuff smelled like bleach to me when mixed with water. Like bleach,you gotta use a lot of warm water to rinse it off till you can't smell it anymore.
It's better & esier to use starsan wet sanitizer.
My last fermentation was like this. Not one bubble (which doesn't matter much). But I did get about an inch of krausen. Although I did have 5G in a Cooper's 6.5 G fermenter. Lots of head space. Sometimes the yeast just isn't all that vigorous.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Glaurung30
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I pitched the yeast at around 80 degrees, just slightly lower. I did rinse the bucket out a bunch of times with hot water after I put the bleach water. There was no bleach smell after I was done.

The last batch I did for an IPA seemed to be similar. Maybe it's just that I have a 6.5 bucket and it's not sealing perfectly and letting out a lot of CO2

Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Make sure the lid is on all the way around. My BB Ale Pail has no seal in the lid & when there's a lot of co2 pressure,it leaks a bit. I'm thinking of looking at the lhbs for a lid to fit it with a seal.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Glaurung30
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I checked the lid and it was snapped on, but I have a little test that I do. I press down on the center of the lid. The water level in the airlock should usually goes up and the plastic piece rises and hits the top. It didn't do that. When I pressed on the center of the lid I heard a hissing sound coming from the base of the air lock. I think it had just worked itself loose enough that air was leaking out there. There is a nice ring of crust around the top though so I think I will be okay.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

How long has it been in primary/fermenting?

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Glaurung30
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's been in there since last Sunday.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 829 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Make sure the lid is on all the way around. My BB Ale Pail has no seal in the lid & when there's a lot of co2 pressure,it leaks a bit. I'm thinking of looking at the lhbs for a lid to fit it with a seal.
Don't bother. I have a lid with a nice gasket and it leaks worst than the BB ale pails. That bucket hardly ever seals well enough to get airlock activity.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Really? So much for that idea. My Cooper's micro brew fermenter has a seal on a screw on lid with clear plastic in the center. The way that one's molded,the seam runs across the seal area. I had to take an exacto knife & trim the lil bit of flash off the top & sides of the sea/threaded area. It seals great now. Can't say that for ther ale pails though. They're kind of hit or miss,depending on the batch or something...

Quick Reply