Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Thinking about getting a secondary fermenter...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
Kiwi_Jonno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thinking about getting a secondary fermenter...

Am thinking about getting another primary fermenter to use as a secondary. At the moment, when I prime the bottles im using carb drops, as I don't wanna disturb the yeast in primary if I mix in the sugar.

I probably wrong, but I think they are making the beer cloudy with lots of additional sediment in the bottle. Regardless they are expensive compared to brewing sugar!

I know most people siphon the beer into the secondary. My primary has a "spigot tap" at the bottom. Would it be possible to use this tap to transfer beer into secondary if done carefully? With or without a hose? If not am thinking perhaps I should use my current fermenter as the secondary, as It would be easier to bottle from?

I dont wanna spend a fortune, but if I got a real secondary glass one, is there much advantage over another plastic one? Most don't have "taps"?

Thanks :-) PS: Bottling from the tap with the "wand" is really appealing to me rather then using a hose....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you want to do that you can go to Home Depot or Lowes or something and buy buckets for usually like 5 bucks. U can use them as your primary, and rack to your spigoted bucket and bottle from there if you want. That way you wouldnt have a huge investment.

I think in most homebrew equipment kits that are sold there is a regular bucket for primary, a carboy for secondary, and the spigoted bucket for a bottling bucket. Its been a while since i looked into them. What did your kit come with?

=============
I have no cool threads to link.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Wrathbone
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cooper's kit for you too huh?

I would recommend getting a better bottle without a spigot for your secondary... not too much of an investment. Then, after sanitizing your primary fermenter that has the spigot, you can use that as a bottling bucket for a while. That is, until you start brewing a new batch once you move one to secondary. At that point, you may want to look into a dedicated bottling bucket.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Kiwi_Jonno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine is the "Coopers Homebrew Kit". Its a 30L primary, with airlock, lid, spigot. Its pretty smooth plastic so should be ok as a secondary? I have hydrometer etc...

I think I can get a very basic "buck-style" primary for $35-$50 which isn't too bad in NZ. If I did this, my coopers one would be ok as primary?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
perversatile
Recipes 

You won't want to use a spigot to transfer to secondary as the trub will flow right into your next vessel, thus defeating the purpose of secondary. You could get a filter bag to put on the backside of the spigot, but it would probably clog. You'll probably have some sediment in your secondary as well, so the same goes for that. An auto siphon is a cheap and easy way for transferring between vessels.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
Kiwi_Jonno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathbone View Post
Cooper's kit for you too huh?

I would recommend getting a better bottle without a spigot for your secondary... not too much of an investment. Then, after sanitizing your primary fermenter that has the spigot, you can use that as a bottling bucket for a while. That is, until you start brewing a new batch once you move one to secondary. At that point, you may want to look into a dedicated bottling bucket.
Lol how did you know it was coopers???

By better, do you mean plastic still, but without a spigot? Or should it be glass? I suspect I would leave the beer in primary 2-3 weeks, prob secondary 5 weeks max. Am not a very patient person... would I need glass if only in for this duration?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Better Bottle is a brand of Plastic Carboy.. a lot of guys here use them so they dont get
exploding carboys and cut tendons.

=============
I have no cool threads to link.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
Kiwi_Jonno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perversatile View Post
You won't want to use a spigot to transfer to secondary as the trub will flow right into your next vessel, thus defeating the purpose of secondary. You could get a filter bag to put on the backside of the spigot, but it would probably clog. You'll probably have some sediment in your secondary as well, so the same goes for that. An auto siphon is a cheap and easy way for transferring between vessels.
Hmm so thats probably why I get a bit of sediment when I bottle from the spigot in my primary?

So basically the Spigot is useless, as you don't use it to trransfer to secondary, and someone else said that to get a secondary without one?

EDIT: Oh but ok for bottling I guess :-)

Last edited by Kiwi_Jonno; 05-21-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Above...

Old 05-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
perversatile
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_Jonno View Post
So basically the Spigot is useless, as you don't use it to trransfer to secondary, and someone else said that to get a secondary without one?

EDIT: Oh but ok for bottling I guess :-)
Bottling buckets are intended to have the beer mixed with priming sugar before bottling. If you're just going to use carbonation drops the bucket is just one extra step that you don't need. I have heard from some folks that those drops leave some stuff behind. I've never used em, so I wouldn't know.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
Kiwi_Jonno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perversatile View Post
Bottling buckets are intended to have the beer mixed with priming sugar before bottling. If you're just going to use carbonation drops the bucket is just one extra step that you don't need. I have heard from some folks that those drops leave some stuff behind. I've never used em, so I wouldn't know.
I think I'd prefer to use brewing sugar instead of the drops. It wold be a lot cheaper in the long run. And probably clearer beer.

So id there anything to look out for when buying a secondary/carby? So no spigot, do they all have an airlock 23-25L should be enough I think, as even though the primary is 30L, the beer is only 23L. Wouldn't need any head room in the secondary?

Quick Reply