Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Thinking about brew number 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Newbie123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thinking about brew number 2

Ok so I've been thinking about my next brew. Going for another Coopers kit brew. The Smooth English Bitter. Just thought I'd ask what people thought of the recipe.

1.7Kg Coopers English Bitter
1Kg Brew enhancer 1
200g Molasses

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Wig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I am a big fan of bitters, and British Ales in general.

Brew Enhancer? Is that dry extract? I hope that is not sugar. Not that sugar in an English ale is bad or even out of style. But that is A LOT, especially in conjunction with the molasses.

Counting that it is extract, it looks like you have the bases for a decent simple best bitter. Molasses can easily be overdone, but being in the kit they likely have it dialed in. And that amount is on par with a good amount in 5 gallons. What is the yeast and hops? They will make it a bitter as much as, actually more so, then the fermentables profile.

Keep the carbonation low and serve cool, not cold, to be "authentic".

"There's many a slip twixt cup and lip" -idiom

Old 02-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
Newbie123
Recipes 

The brew enhancer is coopers brew enhancer #1 which I think has 600g dextrose and 400g of maltodextrin.

This was a recipe I got from the coopers site. It has the standard Coopers yeast but if there's something better I'm happy to change.

The recipe also doesn't call for any extra hops but any suggestion on improving this basic recipe would be great.

Quick Reply