Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > think im doing something wrong with my partial mash process

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
wgonfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default think im doing something wrong with my partial mash process

I've done two partial mash recipiecs from ahs and it dawned on me during the process yesterday that I may be making a mistake. My first recipe turned out really thin and dry with very little flavor, even though my og was right on. And I think I may knwo why....

The ahs recipe says to mash the grains (approx 3lbs) in 2gals at 155 for 45 minutes, then sparge (1qt per 2lbs), then add 1 gal of water & bring to a boil. I do full boils, so instead of adding 1gal of water I've been adding enough to total 6.5 gals. Could this be a problem? Should I add the 1gal, bring to boil, then add the rest & start the boil as normal?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you are hitting your correct OG at the correct final volume, then you should be fine. Was was the FG of the brew? What styles were you making?

Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Yotie
If you are hitting your correct OG at the correct final volume, then you should be fine. Was was the FG of the brew? What styles were you making?
And what kind of grain bills are you mashing?

Quick Reply