*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > think i can change my brewing timeline with my irish stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
802VermontHomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default think i can change my brewing timeline with my irish stout?

Hey guys... as most of you know from my "brewed my first batch last night thread!" that I am currently brewing my first batch of beer. I brewed the 20 minute irish stout from midwest... My plan was 3 week primary, 3 week secondary, and 3 weeks bottling... Well it has been 3 weeks and I switched it to the secondary glass carboy last night... All is good thus far but I was wondering if I would be able to speed the process up a little bit? My birthday is July 12th and I would love to be able to enjoy it for my birthday weekend while I visit my family back home... besides my dad is really wanting to try it... Do you think if I do 3 week primary, a couple days secondary, and then bottle for the remaining time till the 12th it will have enough time to do what its gotta do. Or should I really wait and do the 3-3-3? I can hold out and do 3-3-3 because I know time only helps the taste.... but ahhh it would be nice to crack open some homebrew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have done 4 days in secondary on a beer. The problem will not be with the secondary time it will be with bottling time. If you bottle now you'll have maybe enough time to get it carbed.........I tried my irish stout after 1 week and it was okay but not really carbed. I tried it after 2 weeks got the carb and taste great....I tried it at 3 weeks and it was spot on. It spent 21 days in primary, 14 in secondary, & almost 21 in bottle and it was great. It's still great after months in bottle as well.

It's your beer man if you think it's ready to be bottled now then you need to bottle it to get some carb for your 12th deadline.

Take a hydro sample see where you are if it's stopped fermenting which means your hydro is very close to where it was when you put it in the secondary...... perhaps its ready. Most of fermentation happens in primary. What was your hydro readying last night?

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 06-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
802VermontHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im a noob... should have taken a reading ( I didn't though) just waited 3 weeks and swapped it over..

Old 06-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
802VermontHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can rack now (just a samples worth) and take a reading?

Old 06-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
erkwist
Recipes 

take your hydro readings, over the next 2-3 days, if stable bottle it. it won't be as good as it can be but by the 12th it should be decently carbed and will be enjoyable as your first homebrew.

i have yet to remember to brew things with enough time for events that i want them for.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
802VermontHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the 12th isnt my deadline... i dont really have one... originally it was supposed to be a 3-3-3 week ratio but i realized my bday is around the corner.. thought it'd be kinda cool. I dunno what I'm gonna do. I want my first brew to be delicious, its up in the air right now.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
802VermontHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkwist View Post
take your hydro readings, over the next 2-3 days, if stable bottle it. it won't be as good as it can be but by the 12th it should be decently carbed and will be enjoyable as your first homebrew.

i have yet to remember to brew things with enough time for events that i want them for.
alright I will go rack a sample right now so I can do my reading... I have a hydrometer but have never used it before since I am 100% new to this hobby... what ballpark number do I want to be looking for?

Old 06-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Check your gravity now and then again in 3 days, if its the same, bottle it, if not, wait a week and check again.

Being your 1st batch, you've already been more patient than most of us were and a stout will help hide any off flavors you may have.

Put a 6 away in a cool dark place and don't touch it for 6 months. You may be very pleasently surprised when you get back to it.

Good luck and keep on brewing!

Bull

Old 06-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
802VermontHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so i was thinking i will bring either a 6 or 12 pack of homebrew with me and keep the rest in a dark place for a long time to help condition... and just bottle in a day or two if my reading doesnt change... if these ones dont taste really really good the ones that age will.. and some of you guys told me "its a stout just go straight to bottling for 3 weeks and it will be fine to drink". some of you guys were telling me the main reasons for secondary is for clarity and since the brew is a very dark stout its almost pointless.... I have pretty much achieved my goal as far as the secondary goes and my whole reasoning behind it was to get rid of as much sediment as I could from the racking process... I already see the majority of it was lost in the bottom of the fermenter (so thats good) and the rest that got siphoned into my secondary is pretty much all on the bottom... so if i siphon really carefully i will hopefully rack close to none of whats on the bottom. what are your thoughts now? I just want to be able to present my dad with something (a taste) of what is to come in future batches.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
802VermontHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok hydro readings are in... I'm not sure how to read these (since this is my first time) never done this before.... I got the hydrometer to float at 2/3rds full and it was floating 2 dash marks below 1.000?? is that a good thing?

Quick Reply