The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > thick - thin mash question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
docmoran
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default thick - thin mash question

Second batch Ag going up this weekend.. First had 9 pound grain bill and this one will have 11 + . First went well although slightly off on OG/FG but wandering about the strike/mash water volume this time round. Using beer smith at 1.25 qt/pound and the roughly 3.5 mash / remaining 3.5 gallon sparge volume seem small for the extra 2 pound grain.. Seems like this will give me a thick mash and very small volume to split for batch sparge?? alittle confused. doc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 900 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Well, sticking with a fixed mash ratio means that its thickness/thinness doesn't change either.

11lbs of grain x 1.25 = 13.75 quarts or about 3.5 gallons.

Grain absorption is about half a quart per pound so you'll lose about 5.5 quarts. When you drain your first runnings, you'll get about 2 gallons out.

If you want 6.25 gallons preboil, you'll need to sparge with about 4.25 gallons. Then again, you never mentioned what your batch size is, how big your kettle is, etc.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Alot of beersmith calcs are a little difficult to follow sometimes... For my batch/sparge ratios and temps I use...

Brewheads.com - Batch Sparge Calculator

The numbers from Bobby are the same as beersmith probably......just easier to follow...You can't 'think' to much or you'll go crazy LOL....

Old 04-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
docmoran
Recipes 

Bobby M,

I am glad you responded. Dont get the big head but every noobie has to have a homebrewing idol -- I have your web site as a favorite and have learned a ton from you already. I guess I didnt want to bring up the thick/thin issue up outright -- my first AG missed OG and although I know a milliion factors ( temps/milling/time) etc add into it I am intrigued by the concept of Large first run efficiency with small sparge volume top off being less per se. I can correct the other wrongs with my last but I dont want to be missing this issue if it will help. Excuse the confusion, thanks, doc

Quick Reply