Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Thermometer Hole in Fermenting Bucket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
JohnK93
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Thermometer Hole in Fermenting Bucket?

Hello all,
I've been keeping my fermenting bucket in a bath of water with a fish tank heater to keep the fermenting temps up through the winter months in CT. I'm not convinced that the bath temp is reflective of the brew temp. I did some testing with just water and observed that the temp in the middle of my fermenting bucket was 5-6 degrees higher than the bath water, and if you add the heat of fermentation it could be another couple of degrees (I'm guessing). My theory is that because the bath water is exposed to the cool air, it doesn't loses more heat to the surrounding air than the covered and sealed fermenting bucket.

Has anyone ever put a small hole (maybe with a grommet) in the top of their fermenting bucket for a 12" thermometer to be able to monitor the temps as fermentation is taking place without opening the lid? Is there a better way? I've tried the stick on temp strip, but I'm not convinced it was too accurate.

I'm trying to make the most of my basic equipment to really nail my temperatures, especially for a saison I'm planning on brewing.

Thanks,
John

Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
ByramMike
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Not sure why you couldn't... I've heard tell of folks using digital thermometers with probes stuck in their brew during fermentation.

I brew in NJ... as long as I keep my "brew room" at about 60 degrees F, everything works out fine. This is my second winter of brewing and only had 2 bad batches... both were summer/early fall.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
tackett
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'd say eyeball a drill bit a tad larger than your thermometer. Go to lowes and grab a grommet.

Just find something to plug the hole with when you aren't using it. Or just sterilize one of those 12"dial thermometers and leave it in there. I've been tempted to do that.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2304 Times on 2005 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Or get one of these from midwest that the houses the temp probe; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/stopper-thermowell.html
Just drill a hole in the lid to put it in,then drop the temp probe in it.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
thaworm69
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Well you're at it...make it a thief too! Who wants to take the dang lid off the bucket to get a hydro reading?....oh wait..did I say that out loud? ....Or just think it....Did they hear me?!?!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Great, thanks for the feedback.

Hydro readings are for suckers! That's precious beer! I'm kidding, but so far I've only felt the need to take a reading before pitching yeast and 2 (or 3 or 4) weeks later, when I bottle

Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I use the thermometer that came with my turkey fryer. It has a 12" probe. Just something else to sanitize...

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
thaworm69
Recipes 

My turkey fryer came with an "injector" as well....maybe a longer probe for taking samples...to the ml needed for the test jar. Could use the same hole as the probe thermometer.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2304 Times on 2005 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Yeah,seems like the thermowell stopper would leave a large enough hole for the injector to get inserted.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
thaworm69
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Yeah,seems like the thermowell stopper would leave a large enough hole for the injector to get inserted.
"Patent Pending"....I'm gonna need some "brewers grade" duct tape, a shot of Jagermeister ....and 1 of the best homebrews each person in this thread has brewed...

Quick Reply