Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Thermometer for 10gal rubbermaid mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
jzuidema
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thermometer for 10gal rubbermaid mash tun

Hello, looking for a recommendation on what kind of thermometer to use for my new 10 gal rubbermaid mash tun.

I'll have to drill through the cooler so need to know if this can be done with thermometers on the market. I don't want to destroy the cooler.

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I was particularly disappointed in the accuracy of the thermometer I used in the wall of my cooler (Brewmometer). The probe doesn't stick out into the mash far enough, and as soon as the fitting gets clogged with grain, it becomes uselessly inaccurate. I recommend getting a submersible probe digital thermometer that you can drop right in the center of the mash. You'll avoid holes in your cooler and get better temperature readings.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:22 AM   #3
Axegod
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
I was particularly disappointed in the accuracy of the thermometer I used in the wall of my cooler (Brewmometer). The probe doesn't stick out into the mash far enough, and as soon as the fitting gets clogged with grain, it becomes uselessly inaccurate. I recommend getting a submersible probe digital thermometer that you can drop right in the center of the mash. You'll avoid holes in your cooler and get better temperature readings.
Agreed...a 12" steel probe type thermometer works well...you can stick into the mash in a few places and get a good reading...easy to clean etc.

Just make sure the scale and increments are for the range you need so you can tell the diffence from 151 F and 154F.
On Order: nothing at all..for a few months
Thinking about: Plisner malt and saaz hops
Drinking:

Old 04-20-2007, 02:05 AM   #4
seawort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
hmm... glad to have this info as I was about to make an order to NWbrewer since I want a pump and figured i'd pony up the extra for the weldless "kits" instead of getting the parts from Mcmaster-Carr. Now I think i'll hold up and make a list of parts I really need instead.

So just to be clear you don't like the in wall thermometer (brewmometer specifically) that you have and would recomend a submersible digital probe thermometer instead? as opposed to in addition to? sorry i've been studying for my national license exam and I am a bit caught up in semantics just now.

also if you have any recomendations for submersible digital probe thermometers that would be great. I will ask about parts for keggle conversion on another thread at another time I think.

"I drank what?"
denny's rye IPA on tap
Nothing In the primary

Quick Reply