Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > is there a thing as too much too soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
doornumber3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default is there a thing as too much too soon?

I'm super new, 1st batch still fermenting and i'm ready to brew again this weekend. I actually want to brew every weekend now

But it brings up a valid question. Am I starting off too much too soon. Should i be waiting for beers to complete and taste and then adjust my style or just keep going. I know I made a few mistakes in the first one and plan on moving that to a secondary today as well (I know it's a huge debate but I'm doing it for clarity and my friend I brew with really wants to move it to secondary)

thoughts on brewing too much too soon. I don't think i can brew enough to get my feet wet but it does bring up a valid question. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nope... Brew away. Just be sure to read/research, try to find some area of your brew day you can improve each time (whether it's a new technique you learned or a way to make things smoother).

having multiple batches going helps give you some patience with the ones that still need time...

Old 03-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
jmcquesten
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doornumber3 View Post
I'm super new, 1st batch still fermenting and i'm ready to brew again this weekend. I actually want to brew every weekend now

But it brings up a valid question. Am I starting off too much too soon. Should i be waiting for beers to complete and taste and then adjust my style or just keep going. I know I made a few mistakes in the first one and plan on moving that to a secondary today as well (I know it's a huge debate but I'm doing it for clarity and my friend I brew with really wants to move it to secondary)

thoughts on brewing too much too soon. I don't think i can brew enough to get my feet wet but it does bring up a valid question. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Go ahead and brew again. I just wouldn't try making the same beer you already have until you've tried it. If you're reading this forum, chances are you'll learn a lot in between batches that can be applied the next time. If you wait until the first is done, you'll be out by the time the next batch is drinkable.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
doornumber3
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Thanks. I'm definitely not doing the same. Today i'm trying a citrus IPA. I'm still doing extract recipes until i'm comfortable and then going to move to making the mash.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
stevo4361
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts

I'd only suggest to keep really good notes on your brewing schedule, ingredients, ect so when you drink the really good ones you remember what's in the recipe.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 301 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Its good to brew plenty up front. If you don't you will run out of homebrew and wish you had brewed your next batch sooner. It also gives you the opportunity to get the process down while your mistakes are still fresh in your head. I don't know that secondaries are much a debate anymore, they really have limited use and benefit while the negatives are far greater. I would highly encourage you to crumple up those HBS directions and just let that beer sit on the yeast for a few more weeks and put your focus on brewing your next batch.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
Its good to brew plenty up front. If you don't you will run out of homebrew and wish you had brewed your next batch sooner. It also gives you the opportunity to get the process down while your mistakes are still fresh in your head. I don't know that secondaries are much a debate anymore, they really have limited use and benefit while the negatives are far greater. I would highly encourage you to crumple up those HBS directions and just let that beer sit on the yeast for a few more weeks and put your focus on brewing your next batch.
This man know it!! those yeast are working hard for weeks to make your beer better, so let em work. IMHO if you keep your beer simple like APA, you will have an easer time picking up bad tasts. If it's a monkey-ass-mango it may just tast like monkey & ass.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 363 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Brew away..

I brewed 4 batches before I even tasted my first. Getting a good pipeline going makes waiting for brews to age and carb up much easier.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

In the beginning I identified 3 styles that I'd like to explore. I do 4 weeks primary and 4 weeks bottle conditioning, and I brew every 4 weeks. That means by the time I'm ready to sample batch 1, I am also ready to rebrew it with adjustments. Of course now, I have so many "favorites" that I seldome get a chance to try something new, after satisfying all the rebrew requests. But, that's OK.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
mjaadland
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Just be sure you have the equipment stock needed to keep the process going with out rushing things. Fermenters, and empty bottles, stock them up. The last thing you want to do is rush the fermenting process or drink green beer to get the needed equipment for your next brew day.

Matt

Quick Reply