Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is there such a thing as a good, light beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 05:02 AM   #11
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 58

How is a high attenuating yeast going to help? It just converts the carbs into alcohol. I guess you will lose some of the energy to CO2 and heat, but I wouldn't think enough to make a huge difference in a low gravity beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #12
philrose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Wyeast French saison will dry a beer out while still tasting good. What about a low gravity (1035?) saison?

I also am skeptical on dry meaning less calories though. Is there a doctor in the house?

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 AM   #13
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
How is a high attenuating yeast going to help? It just converts the carbs into alcohol. I guess you will lose some of the energy to CO2 and heat, but I wouldn't think enough to make a huge difference in a low gravity beer.

I always thought that it was the residual (unfermentable) sugars that are left behind that are highly caloric (even though ethanol itself has calories...i think). Thats why people add beano, or amyloglucosidase, to make further ferment their beer, making a "light beer."

I found this article helpful:

http://www.byo.com/stories/wizard/ar...zens-mr-wizard

Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #14
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

By the way, a pint of ordinary bitter weighs in at 117 calories. Love that beer.

Fwiw

If I set the fg to the same thing as the og, I only get 7 calories more on the estimate (1024). I know it's stretching the programs limits. Just seemed interesting to try.

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #15
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
I always thought that it was the residual (unfermentable) sugars that are left behind that are highly caloric (even though ethanol itself has calories...i think). Thats why people add beano, or amyloglucosidase, to make further ferment their beer, making a "light beer."
Did you read the whole article? That article basically just said what I did. It reduces the carbohydrates significantly, but most of the calories are still in there, they are just converted to alcohol instead of carbs. Alcohol is 7 calories per gram on its own, and some physiologists apparently believe that alcohol is actually more damaging in terms of calorie consumption than equivalent carbs, because alcohol has some detrimental effect on your body's ability to process stuff.

An actual "light" beer is lighter both in terms of carbohydrate AND alcohol content. As an example, Miller High Life is 4.7% ABV with 13.1g of carbs, and Miller Light is 4.2% ABV with 3.2g of carbs.

What you are talking about reduces the carbs, but INCREASES the alcohol content.

Last edited by weirdboy; 01-04-2010 at 06:36 AM.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #16
alcibiades
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Did you read the whole article? That article basically just said what I did. It reduces the carbohydrates significantly, but most of the calories are still in there, they are just converted to alcohol instead of carbs. Alcohol is 7 calories per gram on its own, and some physiologists apparently believe that alcohol is actually more damaging in terms of calorie consumption than equivalent carbs, because alcohol has some detrimental effect on your body's ability to process stuff.

An actual "light" beer is lighter both in terms of carbohydrate AND alcohol content. As an example, Miller High Life is 4.7% ABV with 13.1g of carbs, and Miller Light is 4.2% ABV with 3.2g of carbs.

What you are talking about reduces the carbs, but INCREASES the alcohol content.

youre right, it is both low alcohol and low carbs that make a light beer. But your original post did not seem to give credit to a highly attenuative yeast (or, using beano) when making a light beer. Clearly, a high attenuation is key, so the question about yeast was warranted.

the article says exactly that:

"my calculations estimate the control beer at 133 calories per 12 ounce (355 mL) serving and the Beano wheat at 122 calories per 12 ounce (355 mL) serving. That’s a reduction in calories of about 8% and a reduction in carbohydrates of 53%."

Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #17
alcibiades
Recipes 

to answer the original question, I don't see why you couldnt make a low alcohol beer, using a highly attenuative yeast (or beano), and hop the jesus out of it to make a hoptastic session beer. I actually think I would like something like that....

Old 01-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #18
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would brew a batch for the cause...Nice post!

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
fatguy-littlecoat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

do you work out at all?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #20
phasedweasel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Other diet changes can help a lot as well. My wife is a vegetarian, and so I basically only make vegetarian food. Before everyone goes all "BWAGH I'd rather die", tastes can change. I love meat, I always get it at restaurants, lunch out, etc. I'm not talking about white meat chicken either (I hate white meat), I love fried turkey skin and pork intestine and super rare steak. I just eat a lot less of it on a daily basis. There's plenty of food styles out there that are higher in legumes and vegetables without meat that have a lot of flavor such as Chinese, Indian, Thai, Japanese, Indian and Middle Eastern. You may decide to make it your project to learn an entirely new way of cooking. Don't we all love to learn how to make new stuff here?

Quick Reply