is there really any benefit to cold crashing when kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
anyone notice a difference cold crashing when kegging? the first few pints are usually cloudy either way (yeast, dry hops, etc.) then clear up. wondering if cold crashing is a waste of time when kegging or what any benefits are

I have used it when I dry hop with good results. You can get a lot of the hop particles to fall out and not end up in the final beer. Other styles though, probably not as necessary. Still, I feel like any time you can get as much stuff out of the beer before going to the keg the better.

I have used it when I dry hop with good results. You can get a lot of the hop particles to fall out and not end up in the final beer. Other styles though, probably not as necessary. Still, I feel like any time you can get as much stuff out of the beer before going to the keg the better.

i agree, i usually always cold crash. want to keg this IPA now cause ill be going out of town and want t get it off dry hops sooner than later. i always put a muslin bag over the end of the siphon hose going into the keg. seems to catch a lot of junk

I haven't done any cold crashing outside of just letting the keg sit in the fridge for a couple of days before taking a pint. I'm pretty careful though when transferring, from pot to fermenter, then fermenter to keg to leave as much sediment behind as possible. I usually shoot for 5.5 gallons to fermenter, then get about 5 into the keg when all is said and done. The last two beers I've kegged, after the first couple of pints, , ended up as clear as any comparable commercial beer I've ever seen.

So, I guess to answer your question, no, I see no added benefit to cold crashing before kegging. Just be careful on your transfer from Primary to keg and my experience says there really is no benefit to cold crashing before kegging.

I get clearer beer with gelatin in keg versus cold crashing w/out gelatin, so I usually go that route.
As for cold crashing benefit, I think beer will clear in keg the same way it does in primary so I don't see much benefit from it.. but that's only my opinion..

Back