Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > There has got to be a better way to bottle!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
jongrill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default There has got to be a better way to bottle!

I bottled my first batch today. It was fun to do except that my piece of crap bottle filler kept leaking. It's the generic one with a black tip that came with my kit.

Is there ANYTHING better on the market?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can keg but if you are bottling for the forseeable future, do not fret. My first bottling experience was a nightmare but by the time I got to the third or fourth batch, I had it down to a science. I promise it will get easier, trust me. It also helps if you have a partner. Good luck!

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I've used the spring loaded version and the phils bottle filler version (black tip with loose depressor) and they both would drip a very little bit. Wasn't a big deal since I would be moving from bottle to bottle with one hand while setting caps on full bottles with the other - an occasional drip here and there should be expected.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I take it you are using a bottling want. Possibly pick up another one and see if it doesn't leak as much.

Another solution is to bottle over your Dishwasher so that you don't get beer all over your floor.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Primary #1 - Deadringer IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - ???????

Old 01-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3144 Times on 1964 Posts
Likes Given: 2659

I've never had much trouble with my bottling wand. Maybe you just need a new one. Take a look at Revvy's excellent bottling primer for some good ideas.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 AM   #6
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quite often little bits of hop, or some other gunk, can get trapped in there whilst you're bottling. If you have the bottling wand connected to the spigot of a bottling bucket you can close the spigot, empty the contents of the wand into a bottle, remove the wand and disassemble the tip into it's component parts. Outer cover, plunger with small "O" ring and, depending on type of bottling wand, a spring. Rinse everything thoroughly, reassemble and sanitize then re-attach to the spigot, start bottling again and you should find that the constant dripping has ceased.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #7
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

yeah, tear it apart and clean it. Check for burrs too, and shave them down with a sharp knife. I lost the spring and there is still enough force from the column of beer to make a good seal. I waste far more beer from overflow than from leaks. They really work quite well if you don't get a dud.

Another option would be to put a clamp on the hose just above the wand. Tedious. Line them up and fill fast is what I'd do.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #8
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I do all of my bottling over the lid of the dishwasher. I sanitize all of my bottle and set them upside down in the dishwasher, the turn individual bottles right side up for filling. While filling one bottle, I grab another and turn it right side up. Once one bottle is full, I immediately put the wand in the next bottle. Minimal drips, minimal mess.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..
Epimetheus Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 AM   #9
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I use Revvy's method mentioned above and one of those galvanized garage trays on the floor for overflows. The new spring loaded wand I just got leaked a little but my old gravity one never did leak.... It seems things are backwards with me. lol

Brew On!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #10
hinkle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
I do all of my bottling over the lid of the dishwasher. I sanitize all of my bottle and set them upside down in the dishwasher, the turn individual bottles right side up for filling. While filling one bottle, I grab another and turn it right side up. Once one bottle is full, I immediately put the wand in the next bottle. Minimal drips, minimal mess.
This beats my paper towel blanket idea!! I will be doing this next time.

Quick Reply