New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is there a doctor in the house? I'm pretty sure I have my first infection..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Jsmith82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Is there a doctor in the house? I'm pretty sure I have my first infection..

I did a pumpkin ale, used a harvested notti for the yeast. It was only 2 gallons so I used my gooood old mr beer keg. Took a look today and it's clearly infected - note the mid/bottom part of the photo where the light was reflecting, you can see between the rafts.

Towards the back where I couldnt get a picture due to the angle, it's white and webbed, only the surface. This was brewed weeks ago, fermentation is well completed, no way this is just yeast rafts.

From what I've read I think this is a "lacto" infection. Here's my question: If I rack off it and bottle, can it be saved? It clearly smells like beer but stings the nose slightly, co2 is a candidate for that but the infection could also.

I'm not too concerned if I have to dump it, I'm incredibly anal about sanitation though so I dont know how this crept in on me, only thing I can factor was the type of yeast harvest - it was my first time washing a cake...

Yay or nay?

Happy Thanksgiving HBT!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
passedpawn

Recipes 

Liked 2632 Times on 1698 Posts
Likes Given: 2140

Hmmm. I'd rack it into another container and let it go. You'd be surprised how nice these things can end up if left alone. Target sells some nice 2.5g glass jars. Good luck. Here's a jar I used for something similar:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/2-1-2-gallon-montana-jar-fermenter-200328/

Old 11-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
RM-MN
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 637 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 184

It looks like yeast rafts to me. Quit worrying, you really can't do too much about it now. Give it more time to see if you really do have an infection before you get carried away.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
It looks like yeast rafts to me. Quit worrying, you really can't do too much about it now. Give it more time to see if you really do have an infection before you get carried away.
Same. Too early to tell really but I wouldn't rack it and chance getting bacteria on your equipment.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

In a Mr. beer keg, sanitize the spigot and leave that stuff behind if you feel you must transfer it to another container. How does it taste, smell ?

Old 11-25-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Guys, I appreciate the RDWHAHB, but this isn't my first batch, I've got a lot under my belt, I've encountered yeast rafts, natural fernentation, lots of things - I wouldn't post an infection topic unless I'm feeling something seriously wrong and there is, which is a first got me. I can't get the correct angle of picture, i'll try again, but white camouflage spider webs and spots like these, it is not right, it's not the common yeast raft - I wish it was, yeast are my hero, somethings up...

PP, I'll rack off tomorrow and we'll see...

Don't get me wrong fellas, I appreciate the replies, I love the calm setting nature of this forum. I'm infected, whether to save or dump is the decision..

Old 11-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Taste: good, beer, no carb, ale-ish

Smell: beer, slight burn

Old 11-25-2011, 02:18 AM   #8
passedpawn

Recipes 

Liked 2632 Times on 1698 Posts
Likes Given: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
No way. If you look at the pic closely you can see the webbing starting between islands. That's an infection.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Jsmith82
Recipes 

I very carefully racked about 1.25 gallons worth into a jug, dumped the rest - I didn't disturb the film on top so hopefully it won't carry over.

I wish I would have taken a picture, it looked like white leopard skin and webs this morning lol. Gross but fascinating.

Good news is it smelled good, the racked portion - looked great, tasted like uncarbed beer. Guess we'll wait and see.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i don't think they look like yeast rafts either. i also don't think that racking will fix the infection (just my guess)i would definately let it ride though. you already did the work, might as well see how it ends up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Quick Reply