Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Thaw Your Hose

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
Trox
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I hope you are making sure to keep the snow in contact with the pot; otherwise when the pot melted the snow it actually set up a nice insulated area which will help the pot stay warm instead of cooling it down (you would have been better off leaving it on the burner instead of placing it in the snow bank).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4461 Times on 3247 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trox View Post
I hope you are making sure to keep the snow in contact with the pot; otherwise when the pot melted the snow it actually set up a nice insulated area which will help the pot stay warm instead of cooling it down (you would have been better off leaving it on the burner instead of placing it in the snow bank).
Yep! This may be counterintuitive to those who don't live in the frozen north, but snow and ice are awesome insulators. I thought I was so smart, sticking a pot of hot wort into a snow bank outside my back door when it was 20 degrees outside.

I learned the hard way that if you stick a pot in an ice bank, it'll stay nice and hot for a good long time. Think of igloos, and how well they insulate the warm people inside.

A pot of ice water works great, though, especially if you stir the wort and the ice bath to avoid hot spots and cold spots.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #13
andy6026
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Yes, every 15 minutes or so I was repacking the snow around the kettle. A little over 4 hours later I pitched at 70 degrees.

Quick Reply