New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Testing sg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
xon432246
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Testing sg

How do you guys test your specific gravity without introducing bacteria into the fermenter when you get the wort to test? I have heard that some brewers separate a small amount of wort from the main batch at the beginning of the fermentation and use this to test SG. Does this work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
wetchicken6
Recipes 

that will work out fine. good luck newbee

Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not sure how you transfer your cooled wort to your fermentor post-boil, but whatever your method, pour some off into a wine thief or tall thin glass to drop in the hydrometer.

It's easier if you siphon it in or if you have a valve, but pouring works just fine if you go very slowly.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
cg17

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimirie View Post
I'm not sure how you transfer your cooled wort to your fermentor post-boil, but whatever your method, pour some off into a wine thief or tall thin glass to drop in the hydrometer.

It's easier if you siphon it in or if you have a valve, but pouring works just fine if you go very slowly.
What about after its been in the fermentor for about 2 weeks? Is it safe to open up the bucket to test? My first brew went from bucket to bottling bucket to bottle after 10 days. I'm letting my current one sit for a while longer (I learned about the advantages of letting it sit longer in the primary from this forum ) but would like to perform a hydrometer test

Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
Primo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Get a wine thief, sanitize it really well, get some help to hold stuff. Then remove the lid take a sample and replace the lid as fast as possible. Everything should be fine! You really don't even have to move that fast.

This is the one I have, I love it!
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/fermtech-wine-thief.html

Primary #1.
empty
Primary #2.
empty
Secondary
empty

Old 01-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
cimirie
Recipes 

If you have a spigot on your bucket, that would be ideal. My guess is that if you had a spigot, however, you wouldn't have asked the question, so...

I would use a wine thief. I'd you don't have one, the are a long clear plastic tube with a "button" on the bottom. You can dip it to the bottom of the bucket/carboy/etc, and once the button is depressed the tube will fill. I highly recommend one and they're not expensive.

If you do have one, simply make sure it has soaked in StarSan (or another sanitizer) before putting it in your beer. Don't keep the lid off for a terribly long time and you should be fine. The abv should be high enough at this point to deal with any "in passing" bugs.

Quote:
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic

Old 01-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
Bubba
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I take a sample after I pitch my yeast and put it in an empty beer bottle with a piece of paper towel stuffed in and take my gravity readings with that so I dont have to ever open the fermenter till Im ready to bottle works just fine you can see the fermentation in its stages and not have to worry about infection because infection wont affect the fermentation process then just dump it when your done with it some call it a satelight fermenter.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
cimirie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba
I take a sample after I pitch my yeast and put it in an empty beer bottle with a piece of paper towel stuffed in and take my gravity readings with that so I dont have to ever open the fermenter till Im ready to bottle works just fine you can see the fermentation in its stages and not have to worry about infection because infection wont affect the fermentation process then just dump it when your done with it some call it a satelight fermenter.
I love that! I'm gonna have to start using that.

Quote:

Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
xon432246
Recipes 

Bubba,

That's what I hear some people were doing. Since I use glass carboys that seems like a good solution. What do you think about this: I will take about a half a quart of the pitched wort from a 5 gallon brew and transfer it into a small glass container. I will ferment both in the same location. When I want to check SG I will use the "wort in the quart". Will the 2 ferment at the pace?

Robert

Old 01-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

You know, there is so much all over the place telling brewers, what not to do, do you actually think folks would be saying to use your hydrometer so much? Is it a vast conspiracy to ruin millions of new brewer's batches, so that they flee the hobby and give it a bad rap? Every book, every podcast, every posts talks about gravity of beer...how do you think they get them?

WIth proper care and simple sanitization, you run no risk of infecting your beer by taking a simple gravity reading.

This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys. I replaced the plastic one a year ago with an extra long stainless baster from a kitchen ware store and it is awesome. But the plastic one from any grocery store works fine.

And

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) add hydrometer and take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again. More like 15 if you ask me.

Probably less if you have help. And unless a bird flies in your place and lets go with some poop, you should be okay.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply