Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Test Out Brewing for $12 equipment outlay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseburb View Post
I'm going to have to look into that. It would be nice to make a full case of beer, as long as it fit my space restrictions. To make it like my fermenter, the extra step would be to drill a 3/4" hole in the lid and buy a #3 stopper. With this direction, you could get set up for around $6-7. nice!
Just get a second free 3 gallon bucket and siphon for bottling. No need to worry about sanitizing or leaks with the spigot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just soak those walmart buckets for 2 days,with some pdw and all the icing residue is gone. As far as this thread goes, yes you can really srart brewing cheap. Boscovs has stock pots 4 gallons for $10 and 5 gallons for $12. I cannot look at saving money on sanitizer, buy starsan, it is worth it. Just one infection pays for a small bottle.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Nugent Likes This 
Old 09-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by billf2112 View Post
Just soak those walmart buckets for 2 days,with some pdw and all the icing residue is gone. As far as this thread goes, yes you can really srart brewing cheap. Boscovs has stock pots 4 gallons for $10 and 5 gallons for $12. I cannot look at saving money on sanitizer, buy starsan, it is worth it. Just one infection pays for a small bottle.
It has nothing to do with infection, even. And I am not convinced that using chlorine makes your beer "more susceptible to infection" at all, assuming you are using water that has been sanitized/sterilized to rinse. However, using bleach as a sanitizer is just asking for chlorophenols. Nothing like a nice pale ale that tastes like burnt plastic because you were too cheap to buy star san.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
Nugent
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
It has nothing to do with infection, even. And I am not convinced that using chlorine makes your beer "more susceptible to infection" at all, assuming you are using water that has been sanitized/sterilized to rinse. However, using bleach as a sanitizer is just asking for chlorophenols. Nothing like a nice pale ale that tastes like burnt plastic because you were too cheap to buy star san.
Agreed.

I think that there are parts of the process where the old adage "Penny wise; Pound foolish" can apply. Star San is initially pricey, but does last a long time and doesn't cause any off-flavours.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
boiseburb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I'm guessing the problems with chlorine are more associated with its use on plastic. I've been fine rinsing out bottles with it. From the get go I've used Idaphor on my fermenter(s). Has anyone had first hand experience with a bad batch using chlorine to sanitize plastic?

Old 09-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't think bleach has anything to do with infections, just possible off flavors if your not careful with it. If a new brewer makes bad tasting beer, they might give up.
Iodophor is good, but can stain.
Starsan is the way to go, I've seen it at my LHBS in 4oz bottles for 4.95.

I realize this is and "on the cheap" thread, but like others have said, some things are worth a little extra money.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by billf2112 View Post
You can get 3 gallon buckets from Walmart for free, just ask at the bakery dept, they toss them into recycle bin.
I will have to look into that.

I know this is off topic, but anything wrong splitting a 5 gallon batch to ferment in 2 three gallon buckets? I'm thinking of maybe doing two different flavors of wheat beer (raspberry and blueberry) next time I want to brew a wheat beer.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #18
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan View Post

I know this is off topic, but anything wrong splitting a 5 gallon batch to ferment in 2 three gallon buckets? I'm thinking of maybe doing two different flavors of wheat beer (raspberry and blueberry) next time I want to brew a wheat beer.
Nothing wrong with that a all. A lot of 10gal brewers do that very thing into 2 5 gal batches. 2 different yeasts, 2 different dry hops, 2 different fruits or spices......it's all about experimenting and finding out what works or tastes best.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 09-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
steve09
Recipes 

Default bucket size

I scored a big 6 gallon bucket. How about fermenting 2 gallon in a 6 gallon bucket? It it too much head space for 28 days in there?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve09
I scored a big 6 gallon bucket. How about fermenting 2 gallon in a 6 gallon bucket? It it too much head space for 28 days in there?
You'd probably be okay if you set it down and kept it perfectly still for the entire time, then racked carefully and bottled. After all, people used open fermentation for thousands of years. But the fact that 2 gallons of beer wouldn't create enough CO2 to purge all of the oxygen out of the bucket would mean that if you moved it or bumped it and disturbed the CO2 buffer, you'd probably end up with oxygenated cardboard beer.

Quick Reply