Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tertiary Fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
scottedk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tertiary Fermenter?

So, I don't really know how this will sound so if it sounds dumb, let me know.

I brewed my 2nd batch on 2/19, it was an Imperial IPA. Everything went fine on brewing day and I let it sit for a week. The recipe called for dry-hopping so after 1 week (on 2/26) and after the gravity was stable for a few days, I racked to a secondary and dry-hopped (with pellets).

Well, I have been reading a lot of threads on here about aging, dry hopping, etc... and it sounds like (and I truly believe) that my IIPA should spend a bit more time aging...however, I have also read that dry-hopping for more than 7-10 days can cause some grassy/off flavors in the beer.

So, now that I cannot go back and fix what I have done (which would have been let the beer ferment in the primary for a bit longer), what should I do? I have thought about possibly racking AGAIN to a tertiary fermenter to get the beer off of the hops (to prevent the off-flavors) to let it age for a bit longer, however I don't know if this will actually work like I want it to. Should I just go ahead and bottle and let it do most of its aging in the bottles instead of in the fermenter?

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I have done it with no issue at all. As you have already figured out though NEXT TIME let it go a while then dry hop 7-10 days prior to bottling.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 108

If you are sure it's done fermenting then I would recommend bottling it.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I dry hop, I put the hops in a little mesh baggy, that way it's easy to pull them out if I'm not ready to bottle or want to let it sit around for a while.

Quick Reply