New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temps & control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
eccipoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Temps & control

I'm brewing a coopers Canadian blonde atm and it's starting to get slightly colder here in Ireland. I think my temps might stay between 16-18 degrees in my house, which I think is fine seeing as this is lager....however with coopers own instructions it's calling for between 18-26

I was always under the assumption lagers were for brewing in colder temps? Will the colder temps effect the taste of my beer in the end compared to a fermentation on the higher end of scale? Cheer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I have brewed that same brew at 16-18. It turned very good. It may take a little longer to ferment though.
Coopers has their own strain of lager yeast that likes warmer temps than most other lagers but it will handle the 16-18 degrees

Old 09-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
eccipoo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Magic, thanks a million!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 567 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Some of those sort of kits call it a lager, but they include their standard ale yeast. I can imagine it turning out well if kept at 16-18*C (beer temp, not air).

I'm also thinking that those who ferment at the upper range of what those instructions say (26*C is 79*F!) are going to end up with a batch of horrible-tasting, undrinkable swill. Why does Coopers (btw, Mr. Beer does the same) encourage their customers to ruin their beer like that?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
eccipoo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From reading about how important temps are through info on this site, I gathered it might have effected the taste if temps were higher!

My first LME kit, a woodefordes wherry, was done during quite a warm spell at home, really fast fast fermentation, sat at 26 degrees pretty much the whole time. And even though it was also my first time drinking home brew, I did think there was a slight after taste from the ale even though it was still really nice!! I put that down to possible high temp fermentation.

I'll be really pleased if this Canadian blonde stays at around 18 :-)

Has anyone ever brewed any coopers kits and not used the specified yeast? For example, if a coopers lager kit was bought. Used an actual lager yeast?

Old 10-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 567 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccipoo View Post
From reading about how important temps are through info on this site, I gathered it might have effected the taste if temps were higher!

My first LME kit, a woodefordes wherry, was done during quite a warm spell at home, really fast fast fermentation, sat at 26 degrees pretty much the whole time. And even though it was also my first time drinking home brew, I did think there was a slight after taste from the ale even though it was still really nice!! I put that down to possible high temp fermentation.

I'll be really pleased if this Canadian blonde stays at around 18 :-)

Has anyone ever brewed any coopers kits and not used the specified yeast? For example, if a coopers lager kit was bought. Used an actual lager yeast?
I'm sure it's been done. You would have to, however, pitch and ferment around 9-10*C, followed by a d-rest for a few days at 15-16*C. Then you'll want to lager it for a month or two at 2*C.

Unless you have a fermenter chamber, it's rather tough to do.

Quick Reply