Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
fire943
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default temps

Should the probe from a temp controller be in water while in the fridge? or just hanging in the air?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
ericm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire943 View Post
Should the probe from a temp controller be in water while in the fridge? or just hanging in the air?
ideally would be in a thermowell in the beer. without that, I like to tape it to the side of the carboy and then wrap it (the carboy) with something insulating, so that it more accurately registers the temperature of the beer, not just the fridge.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Weizenheimer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just let mine hang in the air and adjust down 2ºf since fermentation creates some heat.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just have mine hanging in the air. I watch the thermo tape on the side of my carboy and adjust the temp controller as necessary to get the thermo tape where I want it. Often times I have the controller down to 59F during active fermentation to keep fermentation temp around 65F.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
ericm
Recipes 

you guys should try taping to the carboy and insulating it (blanket or bubble wrap or something), it'll make your life easier!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I leave mine in the air. IMHO it takes a long time for 5 or 10 gallons of beer to swing in temp. So when the beer goes out of range it tells the unit to turn on, it will stay on until the beer reaches temp and then the ambient could be well below freezing. The beer continues to cool and then takes a long time to warm to set off the controller again so now the ambient could be 45°-50° or more.

my 2 cents ..

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 04-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
Smurfe
I Pull It By Hand!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I put a glass of water in the fridge next to the carboy and put the probe in the water. Theoretically the water will be the same temp as the water in the container. Works for me. Some people take a White Labs vial and drill the top and put the probe through the cap and fill the vial with water. If I didn't do that I would tape the probe to the side of the carboy.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
springer

Recipes 

are we talking during fermentation or after here?

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 04-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I leave mine in the air. IMHO it takes a long time for 5 or 10 gallons of beer to swing in temp. So when the beer goes out of range it tells the unit to turn on, it will stay on until the beer reaches temp and then the ambient could be well below freezing. The beer continues to cool and then takes a long time to warm to set off the controller again so now the ambient could be 45°-50° or more.

my 2 cents ..
Well, you just threw a big wrench in the works with this post. You have a very compelling argument. I use a liquid chiller that maintains temps in a big rubbermaid container that my carboys sit in. So my situation is a little different, but I was about to say tape it to the carboy. Now I am now more inclined to say leave it hanging in open air.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
Well, you just threw a big wrench in the works with this post. You have a very compelling argument. I use a liquid chiller that maintains temps in a big rubbermaid container that my carboys sit in. So my situation is a little different, but I was about to say tape it to the carboy. Now I am now more inclined to say leave it hanging in open air.
I do fermentation the same way a big swamp cooler with frozen water bottles . That why I asked if we were talking fermenting

Quick Reply