Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temperature Variations in Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
Beanieman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temperature Variations in Primary

I made my first recipe this weekend, a St. Arnold's amber ale. Everything went pretty smoothly (except for using an electric stove and taking an extra hour just to get to the boiling point).

Its in the primary right now, I just started seeing some bubbling today, about 40 hours after brewing. My main concern is the temperature swings in the room. I have it in a water bath with some frozen water bottles to keep it around 70. Today when I got home from work I was close to 76 degrees in the water.

Is there a general rule on how much temperature variation the primary can handle? I know I'm a little on the warm side, even at 70, but I'm more concerned if it warms and cools frequently....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 02:49 AM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When you say "how much variation can the primary handle", are you talking about the vessel or the yeast? I think both will be fine. Obviously, the yeast will become more active and stressed in the high temperatures, but should also chill out when the temps chill. I doubt rising and falling 6 deg will impact the beer more than what the yeast will do for the periods it is at the higher temps. I don't think you're going to kill the yeast or anything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply