The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temperature Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
david0161
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temperature Question

Hello everyone,

I am currently fermenting a peace coffee stout porter extract kit from NB. I used US-04 and have a few questions. I believe the optimum fermentation temp for this yeast is 64-72 if I remember correctly. The ambient temp is 68, or so my thermostat says. I have a cream ale finished sitting next to it which the fermometer reads 64. The temp on the fermometer during fermentation went up to 68 but is now sitting around 63 after about three days now, should I place the fermenter on a towel and try to bring it up another degree or should it be ok? The krausen fell rapidly about 36 hours in and air lock activity has almost stopped, just wanting to make sure I'm not stalling, thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 04:44 AM   #2
trevorc13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think you have to go well below 60 to get yeast to crash. The optimum temp is just that, optimum. You'll be fine where you're at. If you're really curious, take a gravity reading and see if you're close to where you want to be. I'm sure you'll be close.

Thanks for the input

Old 02-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

+1 on a gravity reading

Fermentation can be slower when under the optimum temp, but 1 degree is nothing. Three days can be about right for many brews, though you def want to let it sit for another 18 days at least. I bet you're pretty close to FG now though.

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 02-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #4
david0161
Recipes 

Thanks! I'll take a reading when I get a chance. My cream ale is sitting a little over three weeks now and will get a reading tomm, after all the advise on here I have decided it's better to be patient from the get go. This one has about a week and a half now before going to secondary to add the coffee. Two more kits will be on the way shortly this brew is only my second and the first with us-04. I kept telling myself not to ask questions until something bad happens but difficult to know when starting out, thanks for tips!

Quick Reply