Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temperature of primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
srb4128
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temperature of primary

I am on day 6 of the primary and all the sings point to active fermentation. However, as I read research i realize that my basement sits at about 60 degrees...is this too cold for the primary? Should I add more yeast and bring it upstairs? Unused danstar Windsor dry yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb4128 View Post
I am on day 6 of the primary and all the sings point to active fermentation. However, as I read research i realize that my basement sits at about 60 degrees...is this too cold for the primary? Should I add more yeast and bring it upstairs? Unused danstar Windsor dry yeast
No, you're in good shape. My coal room is about 59 degrees these days and my last 3 batches of bitter with Danstar Windsor yeast, did great. no fusels, no funky off tastes, just good beer.

Rejoice!

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
thadass
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 60

The minimum temperature Danstar reccomends is about 62, so you wouldn't want it dipping too far below there. Fermentation generates some heat of its own, so in a 60F basement, as long as the fermenter isn't right on a concrete floor or anything, you're probably fine. It'll just take longer to complete fermentation.

You may want to rouse the yeast so ensure they don't completely fall out before they are done fermenting. I'd also look into getting a brewing heat belt or wrap and maybe putting an old blanket or jacket over the beer.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts

That is good temperature for most ale yeasts. Like others said, the wort temperature will be warmer than the ambient temperature. You want the temperature of the wort to remain as stable as possible, so once fermentation starts to slow (stops producing as much heat) you could move it to a slightly warmer area if possible. Depending on how warm it is upstairs, you may be better off just leaving it in the basement for the duration though.

Quick Reply