The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > temperature fluctuations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Tiredboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default temperature fluctuations

Living in Jamaica I went ahead and bought a freezer and temperature controller so I could ferment at a reasonable temperature and have then stored the finished beers in bottles around 65. I've now got a selection of bottles so can get out of the continuous brewing process and drop the temperaturenfor storing as I won't be fermenting for a while.

My question is what effect will it have on the beer if I drop to 50F (or 40?) for storing but then need to let it come up to the high 60s when I next brew (dropping back down once it is bottled)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
BootstrapBill
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It shouldn't really effect it. The only time that it is critical to keep the temperature within the fermentation range is during the first 3 to 7 days of the fermentation process, when there is a layer of krausen.

Notable Empties: Pecan Porter, NorthWestern Pale Ale, Double IPA, Red IPA, Amber

Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
eppo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The rule of thumb is, the cooler you store, the longer your beer lasts. Typically you store just under 70, so as long as you store cooler than that, I dont think fluctuation will matter much.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are your beers carbonated? If not then you will want to keep them at a higher temp (like 70) for a few weeks before cellaring them.

Quick Reply