Temperature fluctuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sguillot24

Reaction score
Now that the weather has changed my house temps fluctuates between 70-80. Is there any yeast i can use that would be ok for that environment? The other option I have is my basement but that is about 60.

Maybe I will take the summer off from brewing

You could always make the relatively cheap investment in a rubbermaid tote or a laundry basket. You can fill them with water and use frozen water bottles to regulate the fermentation temp for the first week of fermentation,after that the temps you describe are fine for ales.

The basement is another good option, I would think an ambient temp of 60F would put most ale yeast right in their range of 68-73F.

You don't need to take any time off from brewing you just need to get creative.

A steady 60*F basement is perfect for the first 4-6 days of fermenting an ale. The temp inside the bucket/carboy will run 2-8*F higher than the air temp, so you should be golden. After active fermentation has ceased and krausen has fallen, you can then move it into the 70*+ part of the house to finish.

You could always make the relatively cheap investment in a rubbermaid tote or a laundry basket. You can fill them with water and use frozen water bottles to regulate the fermentation temp for the first week of fermentation,after that the temps you describe are fine for ales.

+1

I did this, except in a bath tub. I got tired of freezing water bottles though. Bought a fridge like this and never have to worry about temps. Ales or Lagers, you set the temp. Of course given you have a temp control sensor.

images

Back