Temperature drop!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pingi

Reaction score
I went out of town for the weekend, and I didn't realize the wife turned off all the heat in the house. She said she could see no reason the house needed to be warm if no one was home. AAAAHHHH!!! My babies! When we got home, the house was probably in the low 50s. I have a traditional mead and hard cider in primaries and a red ale in the secondary. Could this Temperature drop have hurt my lovelies? I know the porter and the blonde in the closet conditioning are less carbed than the day I left, I just drank em. Am I screwed, or will they recover?:(

Everything should recover once they've warmed back up. The stuff early in primaries you might want to give a little swirl once they've warmed up, but I think you'll be okay.

Youll be ok, they just will slow down a little while your gone... i wish you the best though, and you may want to give your wife a talking to about whats important... but only if you want to see a small explosion of semi-neuclear claiber

Cheers

I read somewhere that the yeast cells go into hibernation, and then wake back up once the temp. goes up.

Is that true?

You've only just slowed the yeasts down. They will wake up and resume their lives just fine. Add a couple of days to your brewing plan though. Def take hydrometer readings to check gravity before bottling. It's easier to think they are done when something like this happens, then find out you bottled too early.

Not cold enough to hurt the yeast.

I have to wonder about turning the heat down. My heatpump has been running for 75 minutes, just to raise the temperature 2F!

I keep my liquid yeast sometimes for weeks in the mid 30's until I am ready to brew with no problems to date. Let it warm up and give a few extra days to get back on track. It will be fine.

Back