The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temperature Control Options?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
moorerm04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oxford, Ohio
Posts: 354
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Temperature Control Options?

I have brewing for a few months now and I've a couple batches under my belt, an American Cream Ale that turned out pretty decent, and a Honey Ale that I just bottled saturday, and which I have high expectations for. Both were extract brews. I really want to have more control over my fermentation temps but I don't want to drop the money on a mini fridge set up, plus my wife would probably kill me if I came home with one just to support my new brewing habit. So whit that said what else can I do, are there other options or what do those of you that don't have the fridge set up do to maintain more consistant temps?

__________________
moorerm04 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
LVBen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,345
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

What is the problem with a freezer with a temperature controller set up? Is it a space issue or a money issue?

How much space can you dedicate to fermentation and how much money can you spend?

__________________
LVBen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
hypergolic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 214
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

The Son of Fermentation is an option.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer...er/chiller.PDF

__________________
hypergolic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Surly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Prairie Farm, WI
Posts: 149
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorerm04 View Post
I have brewing for a few months now and I've a couple batches under my belt, an American Cream Ale that turned out pretty decent, and a Honey Ale that I just bottled saturday, and which I have high expectations for. Both were extract brews. I really want to have more control over my fermentation temps but I don't want to drop the money on a mini fridge set up, plus my wife would probably kill me if I came home with one just to support my new brewing habit. So whit that said what else can I do, are there other options or what do those of you that don't have the fridge set up do to maintain more consistant temps?
Go down into the Do It Yourself form, or, the Equipment form and poke around a bit. You will find projects that use coolers, ice and yes mini fridges.

And don't BTW forget that Craig's list is your friend.

IMHO it is really temp control that will give you the most bang for your buck in producing good beer.

Also, don't forget to brew beer that SWMBO likes.
__________________
Surly is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
moorerm04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oxford, Ohio
Posts: 354
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBen View Post
What is the problem with a freezer with a temperature controller set up? Is it a space issue or a money issue?

How much space can you dedicate to fermentation and how much money can you spend?
It's not so much a space issue, it's more of an I am a tight wad and don't want to spend any more money on brewing equipment. Plus my wife supports my hobbies much better when I am not dropping a bunch of bills.
__________________
moorerm04 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
LVBen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,345
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorerm04 View Post
It's not so much a space issue, it's more of an I am a tight wad and don't want to spend any more money on brewing equipment. Plus my wife supports my hobbies much better when I am not dropping a bunch of bills.
You can get used chest freezers on Craiglist for as low as $60, and temperature controllers on ebay for about $50.

$110 and you have a set it and forget it fermentation chamber. Like the other posters said, there are cheaper DIY methods that use ice if you want.
__________________
LVBen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
LVBen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,345
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBen View Post
You can get used chest freezers on Craiglist for as low as $60, and temperature controllers on ebay for about $50.

$110 and you have a set it and forget it fermentation chamber. Like the other posters said, there are cheaper DIY methods that use ice if you want.
That is for a digital temp controller. You can get an analog controller and save even more money. There are even DIY instructions for making analog temperature controllers for as little as $10-$15.
__________________
LVBen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #8
Grossy
Grossy Proudfoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Grossy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 383
Liked 68 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Keep in mind, go big here.

Remember you also have to condition the beer in your bottles for 3 weeks as well.

My goal is to replace my store bought beer with home brew, thats a lot of beer.

I bought a full size freezer on Craig's list for $50 bucks. A thermostat controller from the local Brew Store for $60. This is all in the garage.

The problem with the freezer was that the coils were part of the shelves. So I had to buy a pipe bender from Home Depot for $20, and bend the coils flat against the back wall of the freezer. Do NOT do this by hand, get a pipe bender.

I left the middle shelf in place, and can now ferment 4 Ale pales, at 68 degrees.

I live in Arizona, so I have to also condition the beer in the freezer for 3 weeks as well. So I used a Drimmel roto tool and cut out all the shelves from the door. And but in 4 shelves to hold 24oz bottles.

With a staggered brew schedule and only 3 primaries going at any one time, I can condition 70 24 oz bottles at a time.

This better do it for me, or the wife is going to get another freezer. Good luck with yours (your wife that is, I'm sure your beer will be awesome).


Grossy

__________________
.
Northfarthing Brewery
Grossy Proudfoot, Proprietor

"That was proper 1420, that was."
- Old Gaffer at the Bywater Inn
Grossy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
dutchoven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dutchoven's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 622
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

If you're looking for low cost temp control, get some keg tubs. Insert carboys, fill with water, add ice packs as necessary. This is how many of us started and it works pretty well.

__________________
dutchoven is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 02:25 AM   #10
cwendel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: golden, co
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchoven View Post
If you're looking for low cost temp control, get some keg tubs. Insert carboys, fill with water, add ice packs as necessary. This is how many of us started and it works pretty well.
my girlfriend offered to buy me some homebrew equipment for a gift and I have been spending a bit of time on here and in bookstores looking for what I need. Temp control was one of my biggest initial cost concerns (want to get started w/ as little cost as possible to see if it's really something for me!). Especially with a Colorado winter coming up, I have no basement, but plenty of garage space, and the house will likely be a bit cold (should temp control be a +/- 5degrees accuracy? +/- 2?)

I like the keg tub (plastic trash can? or is this something specialized?) option w/ water. are there drawbacks other than needing to check on it a couple times a day?

Any other advice for what equipment is vital for getting started would be great! in an effort to not hijack this thread of course... Thanks!
__________________
cwendel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Temperature control sborah05 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 04-19-2011 05:48 PM
PID control options? drkwoods Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 04-05-2011 05:04 PM
Temperature Control 12ozTees Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 03-16-2011 12:58 AM
Temperature Control Prime Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 08-01-2009 04:37 AM
Temperature Control Boba Fett Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 09-15-2006 11:56 AM