Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > temperature: aging and brewing ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
togodoug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default temperature: aging and brewing ale

The problems I’ve had is like a sweet almost banana taste that over rides the hops even in an over hopped IPA. Some people actually like it. I don’t.

I got my swamp cooler going and hope now to brew ale at between 60 and 70degrees. Will I solve this with a swamp cooler? What is the down side to temperature fluctuationof up to 10 degrees?

I am aging the ale between 72 and 85 degrees? Is this causing the problem and if so how can I eliminate it? Thanks.

Reason: bad grammer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Always try to keep your ales fermenting under 70. If you ferment at a higher temp (above 70) you will start to create phenols in your beer that will contribute to the banana flavors. Try to ferment around 65 if possible....as your beer ferments it creates heat and can rise by 1-5 degrees depending on the yeast strain you use. Not sure what a swamp cooler is...? Temp fluctuations during fermentation are not good except for a few certain styles. (Some Belgians, Hefeweizen, etc)Most all ales should be kept at a steady temp....as steady as you can keep it. Aging at higher temps shouldn't contribute to the banana flavors too mauch but it still isn't a good idea.....if you can ferment at 65 than keep your beer at 65 until you rack it to a bottle or keg....usually after two weeks in the primary.

-----------------------------------------------------
It's not a beer gut....I'm building a shed over my tool.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What will temp. fluxuation during fermentation, say 60 to 70 degrees do? What is the neg. effect to aging at 80 degrees or so after its bottled?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a great batch out of the fermenter but after 3 weeks in bottles it's crap. I'm aging in the upper 70s and 80s. Is that the issue?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Most of those banana flavors you are talking about will be created within the first few days of fermentation if your temps are high. Like mentioned above, if you can lower your fermentation temperature that should take care of that. I like to do my IPA's pretty low in the 62-65 range to get a nice clean beer and to accentuate the hops. I usually keg, but if I bottle I let it carb for 2-3 weeks in a dark closet with temperatures around 78 max. If I'm aging I like to keep them cooler if possible. I prefer to stay away from the 80's throughout.

One more thing. Make sure to pitch your yeast at or slightly below your planned fermentation temperature. That should help to get rid of off flavors as well.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #6
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

at bottling the beer tasted good, very good. Three days later was good, and for the next few weeks great. It mellowed and was great. I used cascade hops and the aroma was great and strong, the after bit very nice like a smooth aromatic IPA. I mean other than one particular beer at a brew pub in Atlanta (320), this was the best beer I’d ever tasted. I was so pleased to really be brewing good beer.
By week four it tastes like crap. It tastes like all the other beers I’ve made: sour, no aroma, no character, just bad. All with different recipes and ingredients, yet all had the same bad after taste and smell. This batch I had “fixed” with better water. Open a bottle and the Cascade hops just popped out into the room. It was just a great ale. Now after a few weeks, about 4, in bottles it tastes like crap. Any ideas? After a year is it just time to give up? Ageing temperature? Bacteria? I can’t tell you how frustrating and expensive this is. Suggestions? Help!

Old 10-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #7
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by togodoug View Post
I had a great batch out of the fermenter but after 3 weeks in bottles it's crap. I'm aging in the upper 70s and 80s. Is that the issue?
Could be. Treat bottled beer like fermenting beer, especially while it is carbonating. The yeast can still got wonky on you.

I lost 6 bottles of Westveletern 12 to a heat wave. Soured it. Heat (or, temperature cycling) is the enemy of beer. It makes life difficult, as we all don't have basements or spare fridges.

So assuming that your sanitation is good, and that you didn't oxidize it, then heat can indeed be an issue.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #8
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Are you making sure all your bottles and caps are clean and well-sanitized? It's weird for 1 bottle to suddenly be terrible with only an extra week in a bottle as the difference. I would be more likely to believe that you had a bottle out of the batch that wasn't properly sanitized and picked something up. IPAs will lose some of the sharp hops taste and aroma over time, but shouldn't go from fantastic to crap in 7 days. I don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #9
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

at 3 weeks it was wonderful, a few days later it is crap. Just that fast. I had about 10 good ones, then had 5 in one day, jsut go tin a panic and opened thm hoping it was one bad bottel, but nope, all taste like crap, don't smell good, and I think are darker but am not sure.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I really think I'm cleaning well. I fill and submirge bottels in isophor, kep the caps in a bowl of the stuff as I put the caps on, so tehyare still wet. At 3 weeks it was wonderful, a few days later it is crap. Just that fast. I had about 10 good ones, then had 5 in one day, jsut go tin a panic and opened thm hoping it was one bad bottel, but nope, all taste like crap, don't smell good, and I think are darker but am not sure.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS