Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temp of room and fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
Hunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temp of room and fermentation

I'm lucky enough to have two kitchens in my house. One of them will be my home brewery.

The kitchen, however, stays pretty warm here in Texas...usually between 75-80 degrees. If I keep my fermenter in temperatures that warm will it have a bad affect on my beer?

Any help you can provide would be great!

Hunter

*Still finding ways to do what others say is impossilbe*

Primary 1: Dry an' thirsty
Primary 2: Dry an' thirsty

Secondary 1: Honey Cream Ale
Secondary 2: Dry an' thirsty

Keg 1: A smidge of hefeweizen
Keg 2: nada

Up next: Anniversary IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Temps that high will generally result in a more estery beer which may not be desirable. It is, however, quite yeast strain dependent. The bulk of the ale strains would be very happy ~68F, but I ferment 72-74F in the summer without it bothering me too much.

I'm thinking of experimenting with some Belgian yeast strains this summer as my house heats up which apparently do quite well in the 75-80F range, and there are even commercial Belgian breweries that ferment at those temps in the summer.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Hunter
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I may take some steps to shade the windows and crank the heck out of the A/C druing fermentation to keep the temperature down...either that or fill the carboy in a cooler room during the fermentation process.

Based on what I read in another post, there shouldn't be too much of a problem in moving the carboy when it comes time to put the beer in the priming bucket before bottling.

Still having first-time brewer's jitters! I haven't actually started the brew yet...just making sure the nursery for my baby's all set!

Hunter

*Still finding ways to do what others say is impossilbe*

Primary 1: Dry an' thirsty
Primary 2: Dry an' thirsty

Secondary 1: Honey Cream Ale
Secondary 2: Dry an' thirsty

Keg 1: A smidge of hefeweizen
Keg 2: nada

Up next: Anniversary IPA

Old 06-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Frankly, it's harder to screw up than people think, though there are many ways to incrementally improve your process and get incrementally better beer.

My wife keeps the house warm in the summer, but by placing my fermentor directly on a vent in a closet it stays 70-72F which is a little higher than I want, but I'm making beer and nobody's complaining.

I always wind up moving my vessels when racking...just move it a day or some hours before racking which will give anything roused up a chance to settle out again.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:06 AM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

In a lot of styles you won't notice the effects of warmer temperatures. If you stick to very clean fermenting yeasts (safale56 is a good one), you shouldn't have much trouble. If you have A/C in the house, it should pull the humidity down enough that you could use the damp towel trick to bring the fermenter down to 72F.

The Brown I have fermenting ran up to 81F last night. The room was much cooler, but the yeasts got too happy. It's down to 71F now. We shall see.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply