Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temp Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
andymac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temp Question

hello all! this is my first post here on homebrew.com have been brewing for a few months have a couple batches going and waiting for my first bottled batch to condition.

to get to the point; I have used a Coopers Lager kit, and have changed a few things to it, added some hops, boiled the wort, nothing too different. I used the kit yeast, so I fermented at 72 degrees. My OG was 1.055. Great fermentation, and after 8 days no bubbles I transfered to secondary to condition and complete fermentation. I took a reading, the SG is at 1.010!..my target was 1.013-1.018....

first question;
Is the fermentation complete? Once I reach target it "technically" is right?

second question;
I sent it to secondary and I was wondering, if fermentation is complete and I want to condition beer and want to clarify could I drop the temp down to more lagering temp? I have a Stella clone in the fridge at 32-34, could I do the same to the Coopers Lager kit at this point?

any help would be great! Thanks!

Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

1) Fermentation is complete when the yeast say so. Check your FG over 3 days. If it's constant, it's ready to bottle. More time in the carboy won't hurt, it will actually help. Don't rush to bottle just because fermentation is complete, most beers will benefit from a few extra weeks/months of bulk aging.

2) You sure could.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
andymac
Recipes 

thanks so much for the help! sounds good to me!

andrew

Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
HotbreakHotel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I took a reading, the SG is at 1.010!..my target was 1.013-1.018....
I don't think you'll regret the increased attenuation. I think it will be good. I pay special attention if I don't reach target finishing gravity (to avoid bottle bombs), but I don't ever give a second thought if it overattenuates a little.

Quick Reply