Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temp of primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Clay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temp of primary

My cherry stout is currently in the primary. I am using Wyeast # 1028 London Ale Yeast. I brewed it on Friday and left it upstairs in a closet. On Sat AM the temp of the beer was around 72 degrees. So I brought it down into the basement. Sat & Sun I had activity all day. While being in the basement the beer temp kept going down. This morning there is no activity and the beer is around 64 degrees. The opt temp for the yeast is 60-72 degress it says. Do you think the beer is done fermenting or do you think the temp change might have shocked the beer? I am trying to warm it back up right now to around 66-68 degrees. What do you guys think?

Up Next: Dry Irish Stout
Primary:
2nd: Dark Cherry Stout
In the Keg:
Gone: Boddington's Pub Ale Clone, New Castle Clone, Guiness Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Kevin K

Recipes 

I think most of the fermentation is probably done, and that'll be the reason for the drop in temperature.

Check the gravity, and if stable for a few days, it's done and probably ready for the secondary.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

That is a fairly large temperature drop. Even though it is within the fermentation range, it's quite possible the yeast went dormant. Still it could be done & checking the gravity is the only way to be certain.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply