Temp drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthMalt

Reaction score
I'm starting another thread in relation to my last topic since I've realized my last post was going off topic...

In a nutshell: my fermentation is underway for a Mild with Wyeast 1028. This morning things were at the 40hr. mark with the strip on the side of the fermenter reading 69F. I felt it best to open a window and keep the door closed where the fermenter is to keep the temp down. After 12 hours I got home from work and the temperature is at 64F and most of the krausen has dropped. There's definitely still some activity but not the huge chunks floating around like earlier. There are quite a few rafts on top too.

Did I mess things up? I've never had this happen before so I'm a little concerned...

Ok, good.

I've since closed the window and I'm assuming things will warm back up a bit overnight. Should I be concerned about the temperature fluctuation? Will this impart any off flavors?

If 64* is the reading you get using the stick on thermometer then you are right at a perfect temp. A lot of the more experienced homebrewers on here like to keep their ales in the low 60s. Some would even say 69* is too high. This yeast likes 60 to 72, so the 69 is on the higher side for the yeast.

I would try to leave it at 64 now. No need to worry.

Nice, just what I was hoping to hear. I figured I was just being paranoid.

I'll do my best to keep it at that temp. If anything, it'll only go up a couple more degrees because I don't keep the house very warm.

Back