Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temp Control in Warm Room

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
mchlhgn1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temp Control in Warm Room

Hello,

I am trying to work on controlling my temp during the fermentation process. The best room I have is the same room with my Heating and AC unit. During the Spring, Summer, and early fall the temp is great in there, but this time of year it gets into the high 70s and low 80s in that room.

Anyone have any ideas on lowering the temperature without having to purchase a Fridge just to ferment?

Thanks.
Michael

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I put mine in a bucket and dump some water with ice in it. Once it gets down to the temp. I am seeking I just occasionally dump more ice in but usually when it's in a water bath the temp will remain relatively constant. I know some get ice packs and interchange them when they get warm.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can also wrap a towel or old shirt around the carboy so it stays wet - the evaporation will keep the carboy much cooler than ambient since the evaporation process takes energy (an old bicycling trick converted to homebrewing, except in cycling you put your water bottle in a wet sock and it keeps it cool.)

B

Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
mchlhgn1
Recipes 

The next question is how constant does the temp stay in a water bath? With work I will not be able to be around it for 10+ hours during the day.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
smokewater
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchlhgn1 View Post
The next question is how constant does the temp stay in a water bath? With work I will not be able to be around it for 10+ hours during the day.
You will not have a problem. It takes a lot of energy to change the temp of water. Get it into the 60's and 10 hours in an 80 degree room won't change it much.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What I do at times is put the carboy into a water bath in a laundry sink then slowly drip water from the tap into the bucket. I know, I know, not environmentally sound, but I do it rarely, but this could work if you're away for a day or so.

B

Quick Reply